Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at Bass Pro picking up some marabou to make up some ESL's I was looking thru their selection of pre-tied flys looking for a pattern to add and expand my limited tying abilitys, My primarly fly to tie has been several variations of a "springs wiggler". I spied one called a "polar shrimp" and I thought to my self, "This isnt to bad, I could tie this one!". My question is, I primarily fish steelhead in the spring at the Ausable near Oscoda, would this be a good fly to add to the arsenal? Besides my many variations of Spring Wigglers I plan on adding ESL in several color combos and also try my hand at tying up some Green Butt Skunks.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you’re talking about the Pink chenille bodied white winged polar shrimp.
Then I would have a few if the water levels are high and riley
But if the water levels are low and clear your might better off to be fishing a smaller natural looking fly.
The Polar Shrimp is a pattern that’s been around for a long time it’s more popular on the west coast of the US. Tied in larger sizes than it is in this area of the country but the fly will work if conditions are right.

Good Luck
OSD.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I've fished them for salmon last fall (with some success), but I typically fish the same types of flies for salmon as I do steelhead (for the most part). I'll go along with what OSD said. I use the brighter flies when the water is a bit high and has some color to it, but under low and clear conditions I'll stick with the darker or smaller (more natural looking) flies. Just depends on the day/mood of the fish I guess.

I intend to give that fly a try myself this coming spring. Good luck.

Al

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OSD, Yes - Thats the one.

Thanks OSD & Salmonator for the input. Since I've been tying the "Springs Wiggler" pattern in an endless possible combo of colors I thought having a few of those in the ol' fly box couldnt hurt. I'll heed the advise about "high & dirty" v/s "low & clear" as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts