Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how popular is this breed of dog. i've had labs all my life and really like there temperment so i a pointing lab sounds like a sound choice of dog.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
From what I understand....

Your getting a lab with the ability to point. I can't believe they can be out in the woods/fields nearly as long or cover the ground bird dogs can... but, I'm not a lab person... So, my opinion may not count.

Be prepared for big $$$$

Mehman: You ever going to take us up on seeing V's run?

-Scott

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
My first was a Lab/German Shorthair mix. The best bird dog I ever had. Boy she could throw a point. Boy she fooled a lot of guys.(Quote: I'll be damed if I ever seen a lab point before) She was solid black with a very small white star on her chest. Took birds mostley in the air. She would go all day, problem. My second, a black straight lab was also a very good hunter and would go all day also. But she was just a flushing dog. I have read it's not a guarentee they will point and also big money. If there were birds like there used to be I might consider trying one.
But with all of the training involved, it's a lot of time for the few birds we have now......Good Luck

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
In my opinion if you want a Lab buy a Lab but don't buy it for use as a pointing dog. It does a diservice to all pointing dogs to claim Labs are pointers too!! Sure there are some that will point but there are alot of mutts that will stop for a few momments if they smell game but can't see it. Even kennels that breed for pointing Labs will only get about 65% of them that will ever point game. So I say again, if you want a pointing dog buy a pointing breed, there are a bunch of good ones out there. If you want a waterfowl retriever/upland flushing dog buy a Lab. Just my two cents worth.

BC

·
Registered
72 Posts
How does it do a diservice to the pointing breeds. I think to many people get to technical because if a dog can point then you simply have a pointing dog. And all breeds were breed and mixed with others to create their breed so technically all dogs are mutts unless you have a wolf. I agree with you about the percentages but if he can get a lab that can point that would be awsome. Should we not train our pointers to fetch or would that be a diservice to the labs. I have had a pointing lab who would out hunt my pointing breeds that I have owned and those that I have hunted with any day of the week. I love all hunting breeds and get disturbed when somebody can sit here and call somebody's dogs action a diservice to another breed. I think people get to technical. I think most trial dogs are terrible hunters but I would not go out on a limb and say they are a diservice to the hunting dogs.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Originally posted by jlizyness
[B I think most trial dogs are terrible hunters but I would not go out on a limb and say they are a diservice to the hunting dogs. [/B]
I don't know what kind of trials you have gone to but most wild bird trial dogs I know will out hunt anything out there. You may want to come up to Gladwin next month and see for yourself. Obviously you have been misled. Let me know and I'll give you dates and directions.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Jilzyness,

I don't have a problem with the "dogs" as much as I do with the breeders that portray these Labs as something they really aren't. Your right if you have a dog that hunts for you and fits your style great. But I think it's wrong for breeders to market something questionable in their breed just to charge more for their dogs!!

You don't see Setter breeders claiming they breed watefowl dogs? Yet I'm sure there have been some guys who have used their Setters in this situation.

My point is that the idea that there is this super dog out there that can do it all in every situation is just boggust and there are to many Lab breeders out there that continue to perpetuate this myth.

Bear Creek

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I think most trial dogs are terrible hunters but I would not go out on a limb and say they are a diservice to the hunting dogs.

OUCH that hurt hey what you doing next grouse season just let me know

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I do not agree with changing the standard from which the breed derived.
AMEN

If you want a pointing dog get a pointing breed. You'll have more success training it to land/water retrieve than you'll have training a Lab to point. It will take more time, work, & live birds to hone a pointing Lab than it would a pointing breed.
I had a GWP and my buddy has had two of them. Good family dogs with a great temperament. One of them could be an anwer. Great upland dogs, and adequate on water retrieves. But can't compare in the water with Labs, Goldens, or Chessies.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think im just a little hesitant about buying a dog other then a lab. like i said the only dogs i've had were labs. I do agree that buying a dog that isnt meant for pointing isnt the best idea. I'm not saying I want a pointing lab, i just want to collect information on the various breeds that way i really can pick a dog that suits me best.

FieldWalker,
Between, school, work, and my boat project, i dont have a lot of free time, I probably wont be able to check out V's but i appreciate the invite!

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
As far as I know, the so-called "pointing Labs" are NOT a seperate breed ie. not recognized as such by the AKC. And I know a few Lab guys who are real unhappy about this fad.
I've seen one that did an OK job on tame pheasants at a shooting preserve. He did not "point" but merely "stopped" when he got scent. I fail to see what's the big deal re "pointing labs".

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry if I sparked people up about the field trial dogs. I was using this statement to make a point. I would love to trial my dogs for it would extend the training and season. Please take no offense to it. You are a good bunch of guys who give some incredible information. And I would be up to grouse hunt with Ya !!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My point is that the idea that there is this super dog out there that can do it all in every situation is just boggust and there are to many Lab breeders out there that continue to perpetuate this myth.
El contrare! there are those that have pointing breeds that hold them up to the retirevers; I believe the term is "Versitle Dogs"

Check out this sitehttp://www.pointinglabs.com/qd_forums/index.cfm

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
mehMan, I noticed you said you dont have alot of time on your hands, man can I relate. I would do as was sugested and make a list of what you want to acomplish the with the dog. After your done with that you will most likly get a lab anyway since that what you want in your heart. :D
But seriously do consider what you want the dog for, waterfowl, uplands and so on. Be willing to accept some consessions.
Dont rush into this take your time and get educated on the training process before that puppy arives.
If you really want a lab do research find a line your really like and have the dog trained ( or do it yourself) to be a waterfowl dog and a flushing dog for uplands. Thats well within what the breed was made for. As for pointing well.. is it enough to hunt uplands over the dog flushing for you??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts