Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've hunted point Mouille off and on over the years but yesterday and today I was out there scouting around on the dikes and in my boat. I would like to ask some people who hunt it opening day a few questions. Mainly I'm curious just how bad of a zoo it is and if it's worth trying to get a spot. I'm only asking about a few spots over there though. I would like to talk about it through PM's though. So if anyone who hunts it regularly would be willing to answer a few questions that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Draw or Vermet / Lead units?
Humphries and out on the Dike. I'm assuming the humphries is a zoo. Then there is another spot I found a huge pocket of gadwall, wigeon, pintail and mallards that would be extremely hard to reach. The humphries looks like a cool spot though. I was told the line at the launch can get very long.

·
Registered
538 Posts
There were 77 trucks down on Roberts rd last year lol probably another 40 on campou rd. Gets wild on the owner down here

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There were 77 trucks down on Roberts rd last year lol probably another 40 on campou rd. Gets wild on the owner down here
That's nuts! It's definitely not worth it trying to battle some trailer trash rednecks for a chance to kill a few ducks. Oh well. It was nice watching all the birds in there today and almost getting my mud boat stuck a few times.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I remember about 5 years ago I was heading there. Got there and left. There were trucks lined on both sides from the launch at Roberts around the corner almost to the ditch that runs under the road. Won't ever go there again opening weekend.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That's nuts! It's definitely not worth it trying to battle some trailer trash rednecks for a chance to kill a few ducks. Oh well. It was nice watching all the birds in there today and almost getting my mud boat stuck a few times.
So only highly educated wealthy people should hunt? Nice

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you want to get an idea of how busy it will be there for the duck opener, take a drive down there today and see how many trucks are there for the archery opener. Roberts road was bumper to bumper with parked vehicles.

·
Registered
11,979 Posts
Unless your hunting private, it's going to be a zoo everywhere in the middle zone. No way to candy coat it!

I haven't encountered a hunter in 15 yrs in the middle zone. I never hunt anywhere but land open to public hunting. You just have to do your homework a little. I don't hunt bigwater though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just threw a nice big dip in as soon as I saw this posts subject. Every post about the Pt is entertaining. I can't wait to read through this thread!!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Darn, this thread turned out to be disappointing. No mention of brown people yet. Nothing about early shooting. Nothing about no corn. Jeez, y'all are no fun today. craigrh13 It's tough on the opener, did it once, and it was crazy.

Keep in mind. the water level in the Humphries is super low. I have a feeling people are going to get stuck. I am going to hunt in the area opening day just not the Humphries. Keep in mind, you can't be on any of that land between 11pm and 4am. you will get dinged by the LEO.

Also, Walzak. Need I say more? You need to check, double check and triple check that you are 100% in compliance. There is almost a 100% chance you will be checked by a LEO.

Life jackets, plugs, shells, boat tags, lights, mc number, trailer lights, trailer plates, tags, tags signed, stamp, stamp signed. HIP, MI Stamp, Base License.

Know how to tell the difference between a immature hen and drake mallard. 99% chance there will be DNR out in the marsh in spy blinds.

Do not shoot early. Although the rest of the marsh will shoot 45min before shooting time... No joke this happened a few years ago. And after the first shot gunfire just started across the marsh. The regulars and the people in my party where so embarrassed.

What can you do? Oh yeah, you can call the RAP line!!! Walzack will take care of them. Don't get me wrong, he is just doing his job and once he knows you, you will get your annual check then just a handshake from him.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Ha
Darn, this thread turned out to be disappointing. No mention of brown people yet. Nothing about early shooting. Nothing about no corn. Jeez, y'all are no fun today. craigrh13 It's tough on the opener, did it once, and it was crazy.

Keep in mind. the water level in the Humphries is super low. I have a feeling people are going to get stuck. I am going to hunt in the area opening day just not the Humphries. Keep in mind, you can't be on any of that land between 11pm and 4am. you will get dinged by the LEO.

Also, Walzak. Need I say more? You need to check, double check and triple check that you are 100% in compliance. There is almost a 100% chance you will be checked by a LEO.

Life jackets, plugs, shells, boat tags, lights, mc number, trailer lights, trailer plates, tags, tags signed, stamp, stamp signed. HIP, MI Stamp, Base License.

Know how to tell the difference between a immature hen and drake mallard. 99% chance there will be DNR out in the marsh in spy blinds.

Do not shoot early. Although the rest of the marsh will shoot 45min before shooting time... No joke this happened a few years ago. And after the first shot gunfire just started across the marsh. The regulars and the people in my party where so embarrassed.

What can you do? Oh yeah, you can call the RAP line!!! Walzack will take care of them. Don't get me wrong, he is just doing his job and once he knows you, you will get your annual check then just a handshake from him.

Enjoy!
Haha I was just sitting back waiting for the brown people comments and the non stop calling tactics they seem to embrace.

Pretty much a spot on description though, we have done it the last few years and it's shocking how early people shoot.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I know for a fact there was a small Jon boat and mud motor out there last year with 2 CO's checking licenses and everything else you need to have

1 - 20 of 27 Posts