Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought 40 acres in Ionia County in 2018. The property has a decent amount of deer on it, but had definitely been over hunted in the past. Our family made the decision to be selective with any buck that we would shoot. The neighbor with the adjoining 40 acres was on board also. Because of that decision, we have yet to take a buck of the property in the three seasons that we've hunted it. Our decision was beginning to pay off as we started seeing several 100"-120" deer on the property this year. We chose to pass on them for one more year. This is where it gets interesting....

We visited another neighbor across the road on Sunday and he called my wife and I into the house to show us what he shot this year. On his wall were three racks ranging from 100"-120"! He also has one more at the taxidermist! The guy shot four bucks himself! Needless to say, we are extremely ticked off at that point. He doesn't even eat venison. He tried to justify it by telling us that he has a home for every deer before he shoots it. In his words, "I just love killing deer and as long as I live here, you will never see a 140" deer". I honestly don't care what bucks he shoots as long as he's doing it legally and not taking more than the two that he's entitled to.

He also bragged about shooting at least 7 does. Keep in mind that he doesn't eat venison and the deer numbers are just ok. They are definitely not out of control. He is the "know it all" neighbor that complains about everyone else.

I'm looking for your thoughts. I have to live by this guy. Do I turn him in to the DNR for poaching or do I just look away and learn to deal with it.

· Registered
3,783 Posts
Well, what did you say when he showed you the 3rd buck? Did you just let it slide, not say anything while being pissed off inside? I've learned to put my feelings into words even in awkward as hell situations, which it immediately would've turned into. Assuming you didn't confront him then, I'd confront the guy now and if I wasn't fully satisfied with the outcome of the conversation, I'd then resort to plan B which would be to call a DNR officer. By just turning your head the other way and 'learning to deal with it' you are being an enabler.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, what did you say when he showed you the 3rd buck? Did you just let it slide, not say anything while being pissed off inside? I've learned to put my feelings into words even in awkward as hell situations, which it immediately would've turned into. Assuming you didn't confront him then, I'd confront the guy now and if I wasn't fully satisfied with the outcome of the conversation, I'd then resort to plan B which would be to call a DNR officer. By just turning your head the other way and 'learning to deal with it' you are being an enabler.
I confronted him on the spot. He definitely knows my feelings on the situation. He's just the type of guy that doesn't care what anyone else thinks!

· Registered
3,783 Posts
I confronted him on the spot. He definitely knows my feelings on the situation. He's just the type of guy that doesn't care what anyone else thinks!
I'm sure he is a guy that pretends like he doesn't care what other people think...but those people don't really exist. I'm sure he would care what a DNR office thinks as he issues him a summons. I'm sure then he would be real pissed about how you thought, and that you thought to call the authorities. he thought enough about what you think to show off his trophies (seeking validation). He sounds like a dirt bag and I'd have zero reservations turning him in.

What was his response to you questioning him about the extra deer?

· Registered
1,941 Posts
Unless he is one of those types that likes to get people riled up. Knowing you care about the deer herd in the area and tells you a lie to see how worked up you get...and only told you.

Then a CO shows up and turns out they were really shot in other spots or by someone else.

Him poaching is far more likely, I have only met a few people in my life that like to test people to see if they will narc them out in other situations by lying to them.

I would just turn him in, shooting over the limit of bucks should piss anyone off, j wouldn't care if he was trying to play games with me.

Honestly I don't know why someone would show another person that and think it's ok.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sure he is a guy that pretends like he doesn't care what other people think...but those people don't really exist. I'm sure he would care what a DNR office thinks as he issues him a summons. I'm sure then he would be real pissed about how you thought, and that you thought to call the authorities. he thought enough about what you think to show off his trophies (seeking validation). He sounds like a dirt bag and I'd have zero reservations turning him in.

What was his response to you questioning him about the extra deer?
He basically said "It's for sale if you want to buy it". I don't need the property, the same deer frequent my place. I just need him to comply with the law! He's a retired guy that basically hunts every day. If I knew that he wouldn't make it even worse, I think I would have already called.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unless he is one of those types that likes to get people riled up. Knowing you care about the deer herd in the area and tells you a lie to see how worked up you get...and only told you.

Then a CO shows up and turns out they were really shot in other spots or by someone else.

Him poaching is far more likely, I have only met a few people in my life that like to test people to see if they will narc them out in other situations by lying to them.

I would just turn him in, shooting over the limit of bucks should piss anyone off, j wouldn't care if he was trying to play games with me.

Honestly I don't know why someone would show another person that and think it's ok.
He's the type of guy that feels that he's above the law. Just a cocky SOB...

· Registered
6,889 Posts
He basically said "It's for sale if you want to buy it". I don't need the property, the same deer frequent my place. I just need him to comply with the law! He's a retired guy that basically hunts every day. If I knew that he wouldn't make it even worse, I think I would have already called.
How is he going to make it worse? Will he shoot more? If your not part of the solution your part of the problem!
Sounds supicious....

· Premium Member
16,081 Posts
He s a poacher and he’s affecting your hunting and others in the area. Turn the POS in.

· Registered
3,783 Posts
Is he the landowner that is selling it?

· Registered
3,783 Posts
LMAO the guy wants to sell the property but then hunt it for the rest of his life? Talk about having your cake and eating it too. I was hoping he wasn't the landowner so you could contact the actual owner and let them know what a class act is hunting their property. Sounds like its time to call RAP.

· Premium Member
14,022 Posts
. He doesn't even eat venison. He tried to justify it by telling us that he has a home for every deer before he shoots it. In his words, "I just love killing deer and as long as I live here, you will never see a 140" deer". I honestly don't care what bucks he shoots as long as he's doing it legally and not taking more than the two that he's entitled to.

Maybe you could get on the list and get a couple deer.:)

Reactions: Cheese-n-Steel

· Registered
2,738 Posts
He's the type of guy that doesn't care what anyone thinks? Of course he does, he invited you into his house to brag about his exploits. Which may or may not be true. He may have killed that many deer, or he could be full of beans.

I'm not sure why there is even a question here. If you believe him, report it and let the CO's determine if its' true or not. Because he just fed you this story, he will know who called, but so what. He'll care about your opinions from here on out, and know that any illegal activity will result in another call. If you don't call he will go right on doing what he has been. This really is that simple.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.