Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the area of where I hunt:

Friday, November 18, 2005

A deer-poaching complaint led the Jackson County Sheriff's Department to a house with drugs in Springport.

At 3:28 a.m. Thursday, deputies were sent to Robbins Road near Pope Church Road after a resident reported hearing a gunshot in the area. Deputies arrived and found tire prints that led to a home in the 11000 block of Robbins Road. Hanging from a tree near the house was a recently killed deer, police said.

Police found two men, ages 31 and 25, who admitted to shooting the deer. Police searched their home and seized 14 marijuana plants, a quarter-pound of marijuana, seven guns, two compound bows and $800, said Sheriff's Capt. Kevin Stellingworth.

The men, whose names are being withheld pending arraignment, are being held on charges of manufacturing marijuana and possession with intent to deliver. The 25-year-old man is also being charged with careless discharge of a firearm, Stellingworth said.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
FREEPOP said:
In the area of where I hunt:

Friday, November 18, 2005

A deer-poaching complaint led the Jackson County Sheriff's Department to a house with drugs in Springport.

At 3:28 a.m. Thursday, deputies were sent to Robbins Road near Pope Church Road after a resident reported hearing a gunshot in the area. Deputies arrived and found tire prints that led to a home in the 11000 block of Robbins Road. Hanging from a tree near the house was a recently killed deer, police said.

Police found two men, ages 31 and 25, who admitted to shooting the deer. Police searched their home and seized 14 marijuana plants, a quarter-pound of marijuana, seven guns, two compound bows and $800, said Sheriff's Capt. Kevin Stellingworth.

The men, whose names are being withheld pending arraignment, are being held on charges of manufacturing marijuana and possession with intent to deliver. The 25-year-old man is also being charged with careless discharge of a firearm, Stellingworth said.
Good to see a few morons in the cooler...

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Obviously smoking too much of their "product" What idiots!!!! Glad they got busted for poaching.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
What about the poaching charges?????

·
Registered
26,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One Eye said:
True, didn't see that but there are 3 felonies in there. Which will be much worse than poaching. I think they are both on probabtion at the moment too.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
One Eye said:
The first thing I thought of as well.

I guess the reason would be because they have them on bigger charges and these guys will be doing some hard time. But, I would like to see poaching charges for jokers like these because they have restitution and those funds hopefully go back to the DNR and help their budget at a time when there is less and less money.

·
Registered
26,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sib said:
But, I would like to see poaching charges for jokers like these because they have restitution and those funds hopefully go back to the DNR and help their budget at a time when there is less and less money.
Good point, I believe restitution is $1000 per animal and 5 days (no wiggle room) .

·
Registered
26,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well just looked up the court cases in Jackson County. They got off on most everything and got probation and fines. Must've had a really good lawyer :mad: :sad:

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
FREEPOP said:
Well just looked up the court cases in Jackson County. They got off on most everything and got probation and fines. Must've had a really good lawyer :mad: :sad:
There is a problem there somewhere. The courts are so interested in getting a plea, to save time, money, manpower etc. etc. there is really less justice all the time.

·
Registered
26,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked up his name today and they dropped the deer, and a couple others. He had a $1000 in fines. He had a 1/4 pound of pot and plants. Both felonies and no jail time, didn't keep his vehicle, got all the weapons back except the rifle.

Man, I don't understand that one.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
John that sucks pure and simple. Every time they come in the store I want to deck the the aholes. That has to be a violation of probation for the charges he got nailed with earler in the year unless he skated on them too.

·
Registered
26,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I heard he also got his gun hunting license revoked but not his bow hunting. I wonder where he'll be hunting mostly this year?
I'm thinking that I'll take a year off from hunting :sad: :mad:

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
What a travesty. How much money does the DNR spend to stop poachers. THEN, when they get one, they let him go with less than a slap on the wrist.

Do they really want to stop poaching? (that's a rhetorical question so no hate mail).

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
All I'm gonna say is what a pile of crap. So these guys get their weapons and hunting privileges back or what?:bash:

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
They plea cases like this all the time because the prisons are overcrowded. We could free up some room if we started using the electric couch...that way you could take out three at a time instead of one. :lol:

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Due51 said:
What a travesty. How much money does the DNR spend to stop poachers. THEN, when they get one, they let him go with less than a slap on the wrist.

Do they really want to stop poaching? (that's a rhetorical question so no hate mail).
I can answer that. Yes, but the DNR can't control the prosecutor and the judges. A better question is do the citizens want to stop poaching because they are the ones that vote these yahoos in office?

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
boehr said:
I can answer that. Yes, but the DNR can't control the prosecutor and the judges. A better question is do the citizens want to stop poaching because they are the ones that vote these yahoos in office?

Amen Mr. Ray - dang LEO's always getting flack for guy 'walking' - vote your dang prosecutors and judges OUT OF OFFICE - they are the one's that WILL NOT do anything.

:bash: :rant:

ferg....

LEO can only make the arrest - after that - it's out of their hands -

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
FREEPOP said:
I heard he also got his gun hunting license revoked but not his bow hunting. I wonder where he'll be hunting mostly this year?
I'm thinking that I'll take a year off from hunting :sad: :mad:
John I would camp out where you hunt, cuz you know he will be hunting close to home and if you could catch him , turn him in every chance you get. He is an a number 1 sumbag.

·
Registered
26,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Steve, virtually impossible seeing that I'm a respectable hard working :D guy. I heard he has had pot plants out in various locations, some near my tree stands. A felony for manufacture is not anything I want.

You know I've told you that I'm about done whitetail hunting, this could be the straw. No hard feelings to some of the people involved, but I am feeling it's not worth it any more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts