Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, sorry about the lapse there... I haven't been out on the water quite as much as I'd like to be since last report, but I have been staying very busy with a few trips, a great Thanksgiving (Hope everyone had one!) and the moonlighting for Johnny down at the M-37 Meat Shack as a deer processor.

Once again John beat me to the punch and did a fine job of describing the water conditions, flies, technique, etc. in his report, so I won't dwell on that too much, (Kind of nice actually, perhaps I'm subconsciously waiting on his before doing mine for that very reason?!?) but I will reiterate what he said about the beauty of the river right now with all the fresh snow fall as a background. No photos of that to share yet, but the trees are heavy with it and we've gotten quite a bit over the past few days.

That being said, this is an awesome time to be on the water and nothing would please John or I more than to put you in front of that spectacular background. We are, as stated last time, once again offering our winter special to try and make that more affordable for some of you and to try and drum up the always appreciated business for both of us!

A worthwhile pursuit!

Winter Special Details, Makes a Great Gift Too!

You can either get a free nights lodging with any full day trip (The hot tub is up and running by the way, a great place to relax after a fine day on the water!) or, a full day rate of $275. (Half day special rate is $195) We sincerely hope you'll take advantage of this and come spend some quality time out on the water with us!

Report continued...

My full day trip with Ryan and Pat on the 21st turned into a half day with the extreme cold and wind chills, but Ryan still managed to land his first ever Steelhead and a nice Rainbow to boot. Great to have you guys as usual and hopefully we can continue to expand beyond the usual Salmon trips!

Yep, you got something, don't horse 'em... ;^) Nice fish Ryan!

On the 22nd it was not only my birthday, but also a group trip with John and some great friends /clients. Paul and Phil joined me in my boat while Rick and Dan floated with John. Great day, great company, great lunch, great cigars, (Thanks Paul!) but a very tough bite and only one nice Coho and a beat up old King to show for it. Good thing there was at least a little Mojo around and I'll look forward to next time guys!

My trip for the 23rd was canceled and rather than go fishing as I should have (Good day on the water for most I spoke to.) or cutting deer for that matter, I took the day off and watched football. The day's rest was nice and on the 24th it was back out again with a friend and regular Shawn for what would be a very wet snowy day on the water. John was out with Chris in the same section whom he'd had the day before with good success, but by lunch neither of us had done anything and we decided to pair up for a comfortable one.

Quite warm and dry under there making the day more enjoyable and lifting our spirits!

Right after lunch a bit of a bite came on as both Shawn and Chris picked up a few trout while we broke down, so we moved on to find some Steelhead while it was still on. Never did get a Steelhead in either boat, but Shawn and I put a 20+ inch Brown we didn't get a shot of and a 19 we did before the bite shut off making our day!

Let's get 'em both again on a night fly or a Streamer Shawn!

Been getting things done around the house and cutting deer ever since, but Thanksgiving was a lot of fun when I joined some local friends for some deer drives in the morning. No bucks seen or shot and I didn't personally have a valid doe tag for the area or I could have gotten one of about twenty that just about ran me over, but a couple of the guys were able to get some nice venison for the freezer. The plus side was the camaraderie and that all the walking got my appetite up for the feasting at home afterward...

Thanksgiving Morning.

I'm off to cut up a few more right after this and I'll be in the shop on Thursday, (Don't hesitate to call the shop any day except Wednesday, we do gift certificates and ship any item! Closed on Wednesday, 8am to 6pm Thursday to Tuesday. 1-877-422-5394) but Saturday has me out on the water for a trip and hopefully I'll pick up a few more to report on. I'll get out myself either way as we're just about all caught up down the street. That's all I've got for now folks as I need to get going...

Happy Holidays & Tight lines all!
Steve

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Thanks again Steve for the fine report and photos. That's isn't called a "shore lunch" is it? :lol:

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
Great report, as always, Steve. But those pics make me wonder what the heck is wrong with all of us? Sitting at a lunch table, which is IN the water, so you have to be in waders to eat!! And feasting in a snowstorm, all just to catch some fish? I am sure that the diagnosis would be quick, and unfavorable, with any trained psychologist. So why don't all of YOU quit this crazy sport? You could sleep in, and be nice and warm inside, and watch football on Fall weekends, instead of chasing some dumb fish. They sure are pretty, but you could just as easily find a nice picture online, and make it your wallpaper. C'mon, everyone ELSE give it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts