Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got to Scottville early Sunday afternoon with my brother. Floated from Custer downstream Sunday evening. We fished every hole we could switching between cranks and skein...big fat 0. Monday morning we woke up extra early to get to a hole I knew had fish in it from years past and it paid off. We landed 2 nice kings and lost a couple others on cranks One fish was landed on a chartreuse and white body flicker shad. The other was landed on a thunder stick with a brown back, cream body and an orange belly. Fished throughout the early afternoon floating skein and only had a couple of bobbers go down and losing one that was decently hooked.

Tuesday was our last day and we knew we would have to get to the hole we fished the day before extra early since we knew the guides were on to us. Got to the hole at about 5:30a.m. and about 5 minutes later a guide with 3 or 4 other clients pulls up to the bend about 10 yards upstream from us, jumps out of the boat and start telling his clients which log jam held all the fish. My brother and I are looking at each other like "REALLY?" We had our headlamps on and had pulled our boats just 10 yards downstream from where we were planning to fish, just to give other boats room to get by. I noticed the guide had a little motor trouble but decided to give him a couple of minutes thinking he would jump in and move on. Few minutes went by so I asked the guide politely "are you guys planning on fishing here?" The guide replies "yeah we are going to fish the "head" of the hole!" My brother gave him an immediate reply "we are fishing this hole sir! We politely just moved our boats downstream to give others room to get by". The guide says "ok, just let me get my boat started". When he did, they drove back upstream.

As a guide, I understand you have to put your paying clients on fish...but is there a need to not even ask others sitting at a hole and just pull up and plan on fishing the top of the hole? I cant tell you how many times we had guides in drift boats came floating by a hole we were fishing and allowed their clients to continually cast in the hole I was fishing as they went by. What ever happened to "fishing etiquette"? Granted there were a few good guides that understood the etiquette and told their clients not to cast until they get downstream....thank you! I had all I could to keep my mouth shut trying to not ruin a perfect two days of fishing!

Once daylight hit, we casted crank baits hard for about 1.5 hours, continually switching colors. My brother lost one on a jointed fire tiger shad rap that he had hooked after a few minute battle. I had multiple hits on flicker minnows, but nothing really committed. It seemed as though they were just mouthing the bait or "nipping" at it if you will. I decided to switch to bobbers and it was game on! We hooked at least 7 or 8 in row on skein and it didn't seem to matter which type of cure it had on it. The only problem was I couldn't get them beached. I had a lot of hooks just pop out and that could be my fault from not setting it hard enough.

All and all, it was a beautiful couple of days to be on the PM followed by beautiful weather. I even got to try out a couple of cool reels from my new sponsorship...Six Gill Fishing. I used their 4000 series Dreadnought reels this weekend and they worked awesome with a super smooth retrieve, 22lbs of drag, 12 ball bearings and a great drag system. Check out their website a sixgillfishing.com and if you are interested in any other their reels or rods...Private Message me and I can give you a coupon code for a decent discount!!!

It seems as though we may have been a week or two early on the good fish numbers. Only a few fish were surfacing both days and I never saw 1 fish moving upstream either day throughout that whole stretch! Hopefully the best is yet to come! Good luck to everyone chasing those river monsters!!!

I attached a few pictures from our two day outing....we had fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I know where you were that's a great hole. Did the guy have a bigger jet sled and reek of pot. He's done that to me a time or two, the first time I let him but after all the "catching" he taught his clients to do I never let him do it again. Chuck and duck with two to four small nymphs in a deep hole with weighed line isn't exactly getting them to bite. I'm Debating on heading up friday morning and might hit that spot up it usually holds some good fish, the holes a little screwed up this year though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I ran by you guys on monday afternoon and stopped and chatted. We were in the red jet sled with the center console. Glad to see you guys got into some action.

Side note: Jonesy, what's up my friend!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Good to hear the bite picked up. We went 2/4 on Sunday morning. Heading up again today.

One thing that I've found on that river is that there are a LOT of friendly guides and others that are just pissed we're on the river.

We anchored up on a hole and are fishing it. All the jetsleds and drift boats are going behind us since we left plenty of room. Until the one guide decides he's going to go in front of us on the hole side that we are in the process of drifting. My buddy knew I was going to explode so he points to go behind us and with all of his might oared the boat to go behind us.

I thought that it was common courtesy to attempt to go behind the guy? I always try and if I'm unsure if I have enough room I ask...and then most of the time they know there's no room and I go as close to them as possible to not disturb the hole.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Awesome! I'm getting pumped been working 55hr weeks and finnaly get a day off on the 27th I was thinking of floating rainbow rapids to sulak I'm trying to get my first king on the swing this year but I'm almost thinking further downstream based on the report any opinions appreciated

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
We floated a stretch of the PM this weekend and didn't see many fish. There were about 3 or 4 holes that had a decent pod of fish but there were people fishing it. Seen a lot of active gravel but very little fish on them. We managed to boat 4 but mind you we were on the river from 8am-7pm and covered a lot of water.
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1442671729.595275.jpg
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1442671749.519442.jpg
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1442671773.985172.jpg
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1442671810.801247.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,901 Posts
I walked quite a bit of the south branch of the PM yesterday while waiting for youth and veterans hunters and only saw two fish. They were both heading up stream at prime travel time and both were already in the boot stage.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Fished the PM again this weekend but only managed to get out later in the day. Didn't even have a dunk or bite. Unreal. Saw very little fish caught and heard that no one was really catching many at all.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts