Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some of these posts recently, I didn't know if it was safe to post here anymore. But I don't care much for the sense of being bullied or intimidated. And I'm damn sure the folks that just want a fishing report really don't care for it either. So what the hell, we're supposed fight terrorism just the same way, live life as normal, right? LOL Since the phone has been ringing as one would expect for steelhead season, and my responses of "eggs, stone flies, flywater, pretty good, some on gravel, a little stain and 'yes, you need a parking pass there too'", on top of the run of the mill fishing report are getting stale and my ear is burning, I figured I'd put the same up here for free. May as well save the phone charges and fishermen should be able to look it up at home, work or at their leisure. Today, the fishing reports were mostly very good. Herb had a great guide trip and my buddy put 5 in the net. Several other guys did well also. Of course, there were the expected skunks. Being mid-week, the crowds were very light. I gave Rick, an employee, the option of taking off, which he did. Expect very heavy traffic on Friday and Saturday. It is peak season afterall and will be for the next 6 weeks. Sunday's usually aren't as bad, especially in the late afternoon. The water temp mid-day was 42. It's up maybe an inch and has a very slight stain. There are some fish on gravel, but mostly at first and last light. Rain is expected Thursday night and Friday morning. The air temps over the weekend will be very nice with mostly high 50's-low 60's.
As far as what's been going on in this forum and by a few on TSS, I don't really know what else to say. We put reports on-line as a service to those who want to know what's going on. You know, the same hundreds of people that call every week. Since we've been doing so, it makes things easier for us, because otherwise, everyone who couldn't read this would just call. And one person even suggested a pre-recorded phone message. Like "to hear this message in english, press 1, to hear in spanish, press 2. "the PM is now fishing (insert voice over) 'good'. The water is now (insert voice over) 'low'. The fish are hitting (insert voice over) 'eggs'. I don't know about you guys, but hate that s**t. And I refuse to subject my customers to that. Guys call wanting the real report. If some have a huge problem with us not B.S.ing people and trying to help them, I guess we don't need your business. Not that I'd expect it anymore anyways. We've had to toss people out of the store before and I'm sure we will in the future. We've had guys that were real asses or very drunk in the store or had muscled in on legitimate fishermen and started snagging. When we know who they are we've told them "get the F out of here, we don't want you kind and don't come back". But that's very rare. But if some don't like our straight forward, honest approach, I guess I have the same sentiment. Most people really like our reports and especially Steve's. Most people say that they really like them and look forward to reading them every day. Because when they're at work, it allows them to dream about the fishing trip they take with their buddies every Spring and Fall. So anyways, if you don't like it, start typing your reply. Type till you fingers bleed, for all I care.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Bob,
Bravo!! I'm typing and I like it.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Myself, I don't know how the BBT posts could be a problem. Let's face it, the PM isn't a secret by any stretch of the imagination and it's not like Fraley or anyone at BBT is mentioning specific holes. I could see it if he was saying that he killed the chrome in the Skunk Run, dead deer hole or Broke Back Charlies bend, but he doesn't. He's a fly guide, he's more than likely in the bug water--no suprise there, so are a 1000 other anglers. I've found his posts to be many things. Informative? yes. Entertaining? Yes. Revealing? No.
As far as I've seen, he might say he's popping kings "mid river". I wouldn't classify that as revealing and when this whole discretion thing came up, I didn't see where anyone was singleing out BBT or Fraley for having posts that were revealing sensitive areas.

It's not like he's pimping out every river on the west side like another guide up there.

I say, keep posting...

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,595 Posts
I have fished the PM since 68 and haven’t seen much change in 36 years. Crowds come and crowds go. Catch about the same amount of fish every year. I have never in my lifetime not been able to find a spot void of people when I wanted. No one person has ever had an affect on how or were I fish, never will. I and every fisherman I know know the holes on the PM.

I sure would hate to see you stop posting here Bob. This forum has rules and we need to follow them. I don’t see were you have done anything contrary to the rules. Your post in itself is self testament as to why you should KEEP posting. Your choice, but let it be known I will miss reading and looking at those pictures in your posts.

Well I was once told stupidity talks the loudest and longest so I shall shut up before I succumb. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all! I am fairly new, registered last year but lost internet accesss til now. I have read steve's reports and they are fun to read and very informative. The PM is a larger well known river like it or not so I don't see a problem here. Steve never mentions specific holes and always tells us the flow conditions, water clarity and even how many fish to expect to be around. All perfectly fine in my book. It's the smaller rivers/streams with less public access and some rivers closer to Mo-town that we should use care on exploiting...But as far as [email protected] say keep the reports coming!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Amen Bob. Keep the reports coming from BBT. As long as I have fished the PM, the peak season has always meant the most fishermen. More fish=more fishermen. I don't like the crowds either and thats why I stay away from the PM during peak season. Well, thats really a lie, I will be up there next Wednesday - usually a light traffic day. But since I have now posted that Wednesday's mean less traffic, I guess it will be like a Saturday with everybody and their brother coming to the PM. Come on guys, there is enough river for all of us.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Keep those posts coming!
I enjoy reading them and they also get my adrenalin going since 90 percent of my time is spent behind a desk while others are out fishing. Atleast someone is out enjoying themselves.
I look forward to the days that I am able to fish, and even though I may not fish the area that someone reports, it gives me a general Idea of what to expect where I'm headed.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Great to see you still posting reports Bob. Fished the P.M for years and when you started posting it is a great help for planning trips. You do not report the areas you catch them at and that is all that counts. Keep up the good work and really enjoy reading your reports as always.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Bob, do you honestly think that any previous post was bullying or intimidating to you?

I really don't see it. But by all means feel free to see it that way.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have always looked forward to Steve's reports. There are some of us who have far too few days to fish, the knowledge that I can get an accurate up to date report here or at B.B.T.'s site is appreciated. Thanks Bob & Steve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts