Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got up this past weekend to check my plots. I planted about 1/4 acre on July 4th. Half wheat, half buckwheat. The buckwhaet is almost knee high and starting to flower. About 50% of it is grazed down to the stems, so the deer really like it. The wheat is 5 to 6 inches tall and there is no sign of any of it being touched. Do they just prefer the buckwheat, of do they hit the wheat when it gets taller? Hopefully we get rain soon, the buckwheat was beginning to wilt.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Deer like wheat when it's young and tender. The bigger and stemier it gets the less the attraction. For that reason wheat should not be planted until september in most areas.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I got up this past weekend to check my plots. I planted about 1/4 acre on July 4th. Half wheat, half buckwheat. The buckwhaet is almost knee high and starting to flower. About 50% of it is grazed down to the stems, so the deer really like it. The wheat is 5 to 6 inches tall and there is no sign of any of it being touched. Do they just prefer the buckwheat, of do they hit the wheat when it gets taller? Hopefully we get rain soon, the buckwheat was beginning to wilt.
If you are planning to hunt near this plot this season, I think you are going to be very disappointed. You won't have any attraction to this plot by fall. If I were you, I would replant this field in early Sept. with a rye/bfo/brassica blend. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
If you are planning to hunt near this plot this season, I think you are going to be very disappointed. You won't have any attraction to this plot by fall. If I were you, I would replant this field in early Sept. with a rye/bfo/brassica blend. Good luck.
My plan is to disc in the wheat and plant rye on Labor Day. I am surprised that the deer are not touching the wheat now, yet they are hitting the buckwheat hard. Should I maybe mix in some buckwheat with the rye? I know it will die at first frost but they sure do like it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Remember this...buckwheat does not do well with frost. IT WILL DIE. This is why these boys are telling you to disc it in and plant a fall attractant plot.

The buckwheat does wonders for your soil and will add much needed organic matter once tilled in. The bonus is that deer like it.

As the seasons change, so does the whitetails diet. Brassicas planted in the early summer are not getting touched at all right now. At least by the majority. They will hammer the stuff come that first hard frost when the frost releases sugars into the plant...

Plant a blend that does well in the fall and you should reap the success!!!

Good luck to you my friend and may your arrows fly true!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
...to buckwheat as a late summer planting. If you can get to your plot within the next week I would say disc and then plant about 3-4 lbs per acre of a brassica blend and put about 200lbs per acre of 19-19-19....if you can afford it! Then around labor day get yourself either ww or rye and broadcast into the existing brassicas. WW or rye will lose some of its palatability for huting season if planted now and if you wait and plant the brassicas around Labor day you probably wont get the desired growth from them like you would if they are planted now. Not to confuse you, but if you cannot get there in the next week, then reverse the % of ww, rye and brassicas and plant more rye and ww and less brassicas around Labor day. There are mixes out there that contain both ww, rye and brassicas, but I dont get 100% of what I want out of it when it comes to attraction for October and forage tonnage for mid to late winter.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I would plant 1/4 lb of rape, Kale, and winter canola (of each making 3/4 of a pound) and then top dress with 15 lb of BFO. I have found when mixing brassicas less is more. Fertilize with 100lbs of triple 19. If you can't get kale and canola by the pound just use 3/4 lbs dwarf essex rape. I am not a big fan of turnips when mixing with others, if you do add turnips go real light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts