Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer, I was having some tough luck and you guys helped me out. Please do it again. I’m trying to get in to the smallies, but I’ve been only getting one or two per trip. I’ve been using perch-patterned swim baits, jerk baits, ned rigs, and drop shots. I’ve been fishing the mile roads and the dumping grounds. What else should I be doing? What depths of water this time of year?

·
Registered
170 Posts
We were in the same area you are talking about and were on pace for a fantastic day. My son was graduating from high school so we quit about 10:30 but had about 25. We have kept it simple drop shot with anything light / shad colored and the ned in a similar pattern. The slower the better and just above the emerging weed growth.

We found them in 11-14 FOW. Tomorrow we start looking the them deeper and look for bigger fish. Crank bait and bigger swim baits to find fish in the 3+ lb. range

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Fish for miskies, pike, or walleyes. If you plan on literally slaying any, best to wait til next weekend (if memory serves) or go inland. You probably know that already, but I'm not one to assume anything.

But really, I'd expect them to still be shallow, for the most part. I wasn't entirely kidding about fishing for muskies, because I caught a few doing just that on spoons and 5 inch shad imitations.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mile roads are your best bet this time of year. There are tons of fish there and they're fairly cooperative. I have had a lot of luck throwing jerkbaits and drop shots this year, along with the occasional swimbait. Despite the large number of perch in the lake, a perch pattern is not always best. Any purple or grey color for your drop shots and tubes will mimic a goby which is their prime forage. I tend to have better luck throwing jerkbaits and swimbaits that mimic natural minnow colors, like white or silver. Also don't be afraid to mix it up throughout the day. Fish get in moods where sometimes they feed up, and sometimes they feed down. This can change throughout the day, so don't be afraid to try different things at different times of day.

·
Administrator
18,396 Posts
Bass are on their beds, try shallow.
<----<<<

Reactions: fishinthed

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Good friend of mine was out yesterday and did VERY GOOD on smallies. First light was hit for top water, then switched to the normal tube bait, Ned rig and dropshot game. Said he got 65 for the day. Launched out of the Selfridge area, shallow early then 12-14 foot mid day... gl

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The smaller males are protecting the beds in shallow right now. The females have largely pushed back out and dispersed. Now is the time of year when it gets harder to find them. The spots that held piles of 4 and 5 lb fish in the mid 40 degree temps now only hold 2 lb males with the mid 60 degree temps.

I would troll cranks or crawler harness for walleyes and mark the spots you hit bass then go back and cast those spots. The bigger fish I have caught lately have been in 14-17FOW.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The smaller males are protecting the beds in shallow right now. The females have largely pushed back out and dispersed. Now is the time of year when it gets harder to find them. The spots that held piles of 4 and 5 lb fish in the mid 40 degree temps now only hold 2 lb males with the mid 60 degree temps.

I would troll cranks or crawler harness for walleyes and mark the spots you hit bass then go back and cast those spots. The bigger fish I have caught lately have been in 14-17FOW.
Caught a 3 pounder near Selfridge yesterday with a tag in its lip. Sent a pic and info to the DNR. What happens next?

·
Registered
5,331 Posts

I agree. I was trolling for walleyes last weekend on the CAN side and if we got any shallower than 15 feet it was all smallies and nice ones too. Obviously, you can't target them over there at this point, but I would think the same would work on the US side in similar depths.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Last summer, I was having some tough luck and you guys helped me out. Please do it again. I’m trying to get in to the smallies, but I’ve been only getting one or two per trip. I’ve been using perch-patterned swim baits, jerk baits, ned rigs, and drop shots. I’ve been fishing the mile roads and the dumping grounds. What else should I be doing? What depths of water this time of year?
Well, did ya make it out yet and how did u do?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts