Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I am not new to Michigan, but I am relatively new to fsihing. I have done a lot this year, but I am falling WAY short of my expectations... I am just not catching anything. Since April, I have fished various locations at least twice a week. At different times, using different lures, different baits, different set ups, different lines...I can't tell you how much money in Rapala and Storm lures I've lost by getting snags....I am very frustrated and need some seasoned advice.... I love being outside, and in the water, but I can not stand losing more lures (money) and wasting time in the cold to come home empty handed EVERYTIME! I've tried fishing for whatever bites, and specifically for Bass, Perch, Salmon, Steelhead, Trout and regular panfish.:rant:
Thanks,
Magnus

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
ok it would help to know where and for what you have been trying.
a lot of michigan fishing is all about timing, water temprature, and the like. not sure where you are from, but water temp will tell you alot about when and where to fish any given speci. also you may be fishiing for some speci where they simply don't exist.
hang out here for awhile watching whats biting and where. the guys will tell you what they have success with. in addition as you start to be more succesful it will make a bit more sence to you

·
Premium Member
30,131 Posts
Welcome to the site:) If you live in Muskegon, frequent the closest body of water to you, as often as you can. Watch and talk to those who are there, you should be able to pick up on the ones doing the catching most of the time. All local areas have there regulars who know their areas. Sometimes a spot 100' or less away can be all it takes to make a big difference. Hang out at the local biatshops instead of the big chains also, buy a few things to support them, and talk with the customers that come in, and with the person running the shop. You can gain years of knowledge throught conversations and just taking a stroll on a pier or river bank, and being alert and friendly. One thing that might help to is bring some jerky or some kind of snack with you. Alot of times fisherman get hungry, and info can be bought with a friendly offering to someone out all day:D:lol:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
ok it would help to know where and for what you have been trying.
a lot of michigan fishing is all about timing, water temprature, and the like. not sure where you are from, but water temp will tell you alot about when and where to fish any given speci. also you may be fishiing for some speci where they simply don't exist.
hang out here for awhile watching whats biting and where. the guys will tell you what they have success with. in addition as you start to be more succesful it will make a bit more sence to you
\
Add a lot of patience to the equation. We seasoned fishermen did not catch or for that matter still do not catch what we want all the time.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Magnusprime - how familiar your story is...

I am pretty new myself. About 3 years into it. 1st year was shore fishing and nary a bite. Next I tried a canoe but couldn't fight the wind, rod and cast all at the same time. Then I picked up a used boat. I started at a local lake and actually caught a few - just drifting and casting. This past year I actually caught over 40 pike (although small - but WHO CARES when you're catching fish) on KVD 3/8oz spinner baits.

I had Ugly stiks, $12 shimano reels - from Meijer, 8# Cajun Red mono, Rapalas, Spoons, Mepps, plastics, worms, grubs, etc etc etc. Each year I upgrade a little more and get better and better stuff.

I now throw some pretty decent rods and reels and spool with PowerPro. I prefer to fish alone - so my learning curve is a bit slower than those who have buddy's to teach them. I subscribe to 3 magazines (used to be 5), In-Fisherman, Bassin, and Bass Master. Picked up a trinity of KVD dvd's and try to catch the Saturday Morning fishing shows - especially Lindeman's and Bass Pro. I also have learned a great deal from hanging out here.

Lastly, I have certainly learned that the fish don't always bite what I'm offering. But after nearly 4 years I am as hooked as any fish I have ever landed.

Best of luck. Lots of good folks here. And I've still never caught a fish on plastics.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Braided superlines like PoewerPro & FireLine pay for themselves in short order when it comes to losing baits.

Try finding a pattern in terms of opposites. Try shallow then deep...fast then slow...drop-offs or flats...topwater or bottom presentations...loud colors vs. natural...etc...

Try something & if it doesn't work do the opposite. :fish:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Magnusprime - how familiar your story is...

I am pretty new myself. About 3 years into it. 1st year was shore fishing and nary a bite. Next I tried a canoe but couldn't fight the wind, rod and cast all at the same time. Then I picked up a used boat. I started at a local lake and actually caught a few - just drifting and casting. This past year I actually caught over 40 pike (although small - but WHO CARES when you're catching fish) on KVD 3/8oz spinner baits.

I had Ugly stiks, $12 shimano reels - from Meijer, 8# Cajun Red mono, Rapalas, Spoons, Mepps, plastics, worms, grubs, etc etc etc. Each year I upgrade a little more and get better and better stuff.

I now throw some pretty decent rods and reels and spool with PowerPro. I prefer to fish alone - so my learning curve is a bit slower than those who have buddy's to teach them. I subscribe to 3 magazines (used to be 5), In-Fisherman, Bassin, and Bass Master. Picked up a trinity of KVD dvd's and try to catch the Saturday Morning fishing shows - especially Lindeman's and Bass Pro. I also have learned a great deal from hanging out here.

Lastly, I have certainly learned that the fish don't always bite what I'm offering. But after nearly 4 years I am as hooked as any fish I have ever landed.

Best of luck. Lots of good folks here. And I've still never caught a fish on plastics.
Couldn't have said it better myself....I use Uglystiks with KVD reels and Fire line....You won't lose a lure with that combo if you tie your knots good!!! I started out wading for Bluegills Bass And Pike then went to fishing with a buddy in his rowboat onto getting a free rowboat to finally getting a bass tracker last year...I also am subscribed to fishing magazines and watch as many fishing shows.

As for lures...I really only used two this summer...a jointed Rapala and a Mister Twister!!! I caught every species of fish in our lake with just the jointed rapala.

And as far as I can remember I have only caught one bass with plastics and thats becuase I think I bonked it right on the head and made it mad!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been fishing various parts of the Muskegon river (giles rd, sheridan, maple island, bridgeton, croton) , the grand river @ g.h. pier, lloyds bayou...no boat for the rivers, a friend has a boat for the summer time, but we seem to do worse then. thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
For bass or walleye, your best learning curve is tournaments. Maybe 3-to-1 better than fishing alone.

Best investment you can make is backseating in a tourney or two...no boat needed, just pay the entry fee(like $40-60) and fish in a nice boat(unless you draw me! :lol:) w/ a skilled angler for a few hours...you'll be astounded how much you absorb and how the competition and social networking amplify learning. You'll be learing firsthand from someone w/ a vested interset in your success! lmao! You'll soon see, and believe, things you may otherwise have dismissed as improbable. Because each boat's fishing the same lake on the same day...patterns (at weigh-in;):lol:) are apparent, reliable and easily remembered.

If you wanted the absolute fastest track, that is.

·
Banned
2,218 Posts
Spoken like a guy who thru spinnerbaits and crankbaits until he started fishing tournaments! :D
I still throw spinnerbaits and crankbaits:dizzy: just not much!
I still find it amazing how many people think soft plastic's don't work, or wouldn't work for them:help:
Its just too easy people, ya they are getting pricey, but there are several no brainer baits on the market that are exceptional bass catchers!
Some don't like them but SENKO's are 1 of said baits! The thing is there is no wrong way to work a senko, you can texas rig it weightless, or use a weight, you can drag it, or simply cast it and watch it sink, theres no end to the possibility's! The big thing is Patience as with most endeavors the KEY to success!
Since you have Bass mag subscriptions, and watch TV shows like Bassmasters you prolly have seen DROPSHOTTING?
If not do a search here, read all you can, learn and go 4 it!
Fish cant tell if you know what your doing or not:yikes: they just react to their current circumstances! and hopefully BITE!

BD

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Spoken like a guy who thru spinnerbaits and crankbaits until he started fishing tournaments! :D
Yup..plastisol is the #1 way to go, most of the time, for bass.

But you sound like the guy who got his butt kicked all Fall by those spinnerbaits & cranks! :evil:

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Hey, you CANNOT count the fish caught on your lake in the tally. That's like shooting fish in a barrel!! LOL!!! Texas rig craws caught most (not all....but most) my big fish in the late fall. You know... Plastisol! LOL!!! But I do know how to catch them on a crank AND a spinnerbait... and I did catch a pretty nice fish on the drop shot one of the last few times out with you on your lake. Fish in a barrel though, like I said!! Both Crockery and Ryerson were VERY receptive to plastisol baits this fall.

19+ pounds of plastisol fish... in November! What a day that was. :D

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,323 Posts
One way to learn rivers is to get some worms and go fish a small stream. Just get a map and look up some small waters with public access near you. You have to walk lightly and sneak up on em some but you will be able to study it and how the water moves and where fish hold etc. and then apply it to larger streams or rivers you cannot see into. Reading (or knowing) the water on a river is important to success on one.
This helped me a lot when I started getting into river fishing years ago.
Good luck!

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Hey... an idea. Hit Wolf Lake in Oakridge. You can fish right from the shore at the boat ramp for panfish just about any time of year that there's no ice.

You have not answered the boat question... do you have a boat? If yes, this is a great little lake to strart on. There are a ton of panfish and some decent bass (weighed in a 6 pounder at a tourney there several years ago). Plus, it's "no high speed boating" in the morning... so no PWC's or skiers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts