Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down to our pond yesterday to paddle around a bit and was amazed at the number of dead fish! The pond is about 6 acres in size and maybe 5 foot deep. Of course 6 years ago the pond was 10 acres and 10 foot deep...but I digress. Along the shore yesterday there must have been 100 dead fish! I assumed that they couldn't survive under the ice because of oxygen depletion, but what was strange was they were all of the same size and only two species - bass and carp. None of the fish I found were smaller than 10" nor larger than 12" I know that there are smaller and larger fish in the pond, I've seen and caught them. I also know that there are bullhead, bluegill and perch in there...but none on the shore? Anyone have an explanation?????

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
im am going to guess that myabe they were to young and couldnt handle the cold water or disease waybe with the smaller ones. but you said that there was 5 foot of water well think if there was a foot of ice or more not enogh sapce to go. or brieth. you should check for any similarities of the fish and see if they have a disease or compare with older mature fish if you catch one

good luck cleening up it will smell lol

deputy865

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's plenty of scavengers around to take care of the fish. My guess would be that the ice was over 2 foot this winter...

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just seems weird that all the "mid-size" fish of only two of at least five species (that I know of)...died off.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
i thoguht that was wird to maybe if you asked others on there opinion you might just find the solution to the problem

·
Registered
936 Posts
Maybe there wasnt a good spawn of minnows and the bass didnt have anything to eat. And maybe there were too many carp and ate alot of the food so others couldnt find any. I don't know I'm just guessing, but it's possible.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You definately had enough ice and snow cover for an O2 depleation in that shallow of water with no inlet. Not many fish can live on less O2 than carp, but IF there are still other species alive in there it is a mystery why those fish are dead and others are not.

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
maybe the pond turned over and fish stuck in one area got suffocated? just another possibility.

steve

·
Registered
936 Posts
Maybe they commited a sin and god struck them with a bolt of lightning ;)..lol..nothing else seems as logical.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
you should check these fish with there otrher older bigger ones see if there is a difference if there is contact the DNR and see what they have to say about it

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
We have a small farm pond in our yard that has bass and bluegills. When we get a hard winter we have winter kill issues with the gills. This spring we lost a lot of bluegills. The bass dont seem to winterkill as bad but every spring some of them get fungus on them and die off from that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts