Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time to launch at the Platte River for me. I want to launch and run out to the lake to jig and troll. I'm thinking of just using my 16ft boat with a 50hp engine for the first attempt of getting over the sand bar at the end. Will I have any trouble making it out? Drafts about 1.5 ft.

Second, how much does it cost to park your car and trailer at that launch?

Third, how has the fishing been the past week? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
374 Posts
First time to launch at the Platte River for me. I want to launch and run out to the lake to jig and troll. I'm thinking of just using my 16ft boat with a 50hp engine for the first attempt of getting over the sand bar at the end. Will I have any trouble making it out? Drafts about 1.5 ft.

Second, how much does it cost to park your car and trailer at that launch?

Third, how has the fishing been the past week? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
You'll make it out, probably with the motor trimmed up a little, depending on waves. PLAN on getting out at the mouth and dragging the boat up. It's gravely at the mouth with some bigger rocks scattered around in the main channel.

City parking is $5 suggested donation to a box, no parking pass available that I could find. The Federal pass is $45.

Fishing is fishing. Cohos are finicky. All you can do is go fishin' and hope they're biting that day. If I make it out I'll report.

With the SW wind yesterday the fish ran the river, and dropped back. Some may have stayed at the weir. With the NW a few fish ran this morning/last night. I went to the mouth this morning and landed one drifting spawn as the pods came through. They stopped coming through at around 9 so I left at 9:40ish. They may have come through in spurts after but I didn't hang around.

I'm going to try jigging and/or trolling the bay this year, so it will be a learning thing on my part also.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The guy taking money at the ramp said it was $5 a spot and you need two spots with a trailer so $10.
If your fishing the next day might as well do federal then right? Isnt the fed permit good for 3 days or something? Curious ill be up monday i always end up in a federal spot anyways not sweating $5 after the gas and lodging anyway.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
If you get lucky and you actually get a parking spot for your truck and trailer-good.

More than likely, you will have to park on the side of the road, which is what I did this morning. It was very busy and very full with vehicles and people everywhere.

Kinda neat to see all that activity early in the morning and out on the edge of nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If you get lucky and you actually get a parking spot for your truck and trailer-good.

More than likely, you will have to park on the side of the road, which is what I did this morning. It was very busy and very full with vehicles and people everywhere.

Kinda neat to see all that activity early in the morning and out on the edge of nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its been insanity labor day saturday and sunday the couple times ive done it. Much more so the tubers and beach goers. Pushed to monday tuesday this year but looks like the weather might bite me on that call.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
374 Posts
Son and I jigged the bay yesterday evening. Stayed inside the circus of boats, 60-80 fow. No hook ups for us. Saw one landed by a boat jigging close to us. Saw probably a dozen landed by boats trolling while they were near us.
Beautiful evening none the less. It's also pretty neat watching the pods of coho porpoising like a group of dolphins.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.