Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any word on if the Cohos are starting to show up in the bay yet? Have had a bad luck streak of judging when those fish move in. Sometimes they’re in by the end of August, other times they don’t show until mid-late September. I was just wondering if anyone has heard any activity there. PMs welcome, just wanna get a leg up on my dad lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was down there Monday the 15th around 6 p.m. No boats in the Bay or trailers in the parking lot. They closed off the weir, but that's a scheduled thing. Something like the first weekday in August that lands near the 15th. Same with me on the timing thing, I limited out one year on the 27th of August, but have gone other years mid September and the run wasn't really going yet. While I was down there some jack wagon had a shovel, and was tossing large rocks to create a new flow from river to lake because he got his boat stuck in the morning waaayyy down the beach where the natural mouth is. Apparently, a National Park Ranger took exception to this activity and the guy got a good talkin' to. Can't believe he didn't get a big fat ticket. I talked to Mr. Excavator for a moment and he seemed to be a "couple sandwiches short of a picnic" anyway.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Back in 2016 or so I watched a YouTube video on the Platte River egg take & I jotted down these notes of what a weir tech said when he was asked when did the salmon show up:

Platte Weir harvest parameters-

-North wind over 20mph after September 1st, preferably 30-40mph

-Air temps below 50 degrees for 24hrs

-Rain & temps below 45 degrees for 24hrs

·
Registered
41 Posts
So if those are the parameters for the coho showing up in the river at the weir, what are the parameters those of you with experience fishing Platte Bay would say trigger the fish to stage in the bay? Also does anyone know the earliest and latest date they have historically showed up in the bay?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
So if those are the parameters for the coho showing up in the river at the weir, what are the parameters those of you with experience fishing Platte Bay would say trigger the fish to stage in the bay? Also does anyone know the earliest and latest date they have historically showed up in the bay?
Perhaps read the September 2019 thread on this website titled “Platte Bay Coho?”

·
Registered
804 Posts
Some years they show up in the bay in mid August some years it seems like early October. Some years they stay in the bay for weeks other years it seems like only a few days. Once they do though and word gets out it quickly turns into a zoo. Best bet is to probably shoot over there and find out for yourself. If there not there the point and bank are right around the corner. Imo once word gets out its too late and usually not enjoyable fishing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some years they show up in the bay in mid August some years it seems like early October. Some years they stay in the bay for weeks other years it seems like only a few days. Once they do though and word gets out it quickly turns into a zoo. Best bet is to probably shoot over there and find out for yourself. If there not there the point and bank are right around the corner. Imo once word gets out its too late and usually not enjoyable fishing.
Thanks for the response and GO BUCKS! I will be up there this week so I will keep my fingers crossed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the response and GO BUCKS! I will be up there this week so I will keep my fingers crossed
Good Luck up there. Reminder the Benzie Frenzy is this weekend so it will be a busy day on the water for sure. I will be there Saturday with the wife unless the winds stay North through the weekend. Have had buddies fishing both PBs off and on and not much to report yet other than pretty warm water being in there unlike everywhere else and a workout getting the boats back up the river.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes they launch there. Very limited parking available there and you really need to make sure that the wind (if any) has East in it or it can be really tough getting the boat back on the trailer there. The launch is right into the big lake. Have witnessed a few Swamped boats there in my years of being in the area trying to get back on the trailer with waves coming over the back or side. Not pretty...

1 - 20 of 107 Posts