Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

61 - 81 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I caught one fish on a soft plastic yesterday. It gave me some confidence in using them now. I still used spikes 50% of the time. The bite was extremely slow for us last night.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I marked fish all day and had trouble getting them to come up to my Fiskas with mousie / or spike / or waxworm. Finally, in desperation put on a white micro-nuggie and a pike inhaled it just as it neared bottom. Fought him on 3 lb. test for 5 minutes and several runs and he broke off on one last big run when he saw the hole. So, I guess they're good for pike ;).

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I only caught 3 perch this morning but I caught them using a plastic J&S black ice might on a 1/64 glow custom jigs & spin majmun jig. That ice mite looked real good under water with barely any movement. Tried using spikes but no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I caught one fish on a soft plastic yesterday. It gave me some confidence in using them now. I still used spikes 50% of the time. The bite was extremely slow for us last night.
Don't worry, same exact thing for me too. Boy, what a difference 24 hours made. I fished the exact same pattern I did Friday and only got about 25 fish in total and all were undersized. I got one small perch (rare at my spot), a 12" bass (small one for the area) but glad to see both as they must be reproducing some, about 20 undersized gills and sunfish, and maybe 5 crappie all basically throwbacks for me. I wasn't marking nearly as many fish and hardly any suspended which are usually the crappies I'm after. Only crappie I got were right before dark on minnows. Again, it was a little colder than I'd like to fish outside of the shanty but I forced myself to but had to keep clearing the holes of skim ice every 5 minutes or so which was a PITA. Back at it Friday and the coming weekend to try to get some more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Absolutely. I have fished plastics exclusively for the last couple years. "Judges jaw jackers" to be specific. Top notch michigan made plastics. All baits salted and scented. Has changed the game for me. I caught well over 200 fish this weekend with out changing or checking my bait once. .. All fish in the photo attached from yesterday were caught on these plastics. Imo the key to fishing plastic v live bait is to keeeep the bait moving.. Dont stop jigging to look for a bite.. Keep jigging until they take it.. Best of luck to you..
Screenshot_20210123-225554.png

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you don't mind me asking what style of soft plastics did you use? I caught the one i got on a judges jaw jacker wing ding in glow red color. I too like their soft plastics, they seem well made and you definitely get your money's worth with the amount in each package.
Absolutely. I have fished plastics exclusively for the last couple years. "Judges jaw jackers" to be specific. Top notch michigan made plastics. All baits salted and scented. Has changed the game for me. I caught well over 200 fish this weekend with out changing or checking my bait once. .. All fish in the photo attached from yesterday were caught on these plastics. Imo the key to fishing plastic v live bait is to keeeep the bait moving.. Dont stop jigging to look for a bite.. Keep jigging until they take it.. Best of luck to you.. View attachment 636439

·
Registered
904 Posts
If you don't mind me asking what style of soft plastics did you use? I caught the one i got on a judges jaw jacker wing ding in glow red color. I too like their soft plastics, they seem well made and you definitely get your money's worth with the amount in each package.
Seeing that he is wearing a Jaw Jackers hat I'm going with jaw jackers! ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Oh i saw that. I was wondering what model/style of soft plastic from judges jaw jackers. That's what i was trying to ask. I have wing dings and mousies i think they were called.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I ordered some J-Spikes in glow. Haven't used them yet but the idea was to have something in hand if I couldn't get live bait for one reason or another.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Absolutely. I have fished plastics exclusively for the last couple years. "Judges jaw jackers" to be specific. Top notch michigan made plastics. All baits salted and scented. Has changed the game for me. I caught well over 200 fish this weekend with out changing or checking my bait once. .. All fish in the photo attached from yesterday were caught on these plastics. Imo the key to fishing plastic v live bait is to keeeep the bait moving.. Dont stop jigging to look for a bite.. Keep jigging until they take it.. Best of luck to you.. View attachment 636439
Do you have any vested interest in the company that makes them, or are you just a happy customer?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Used a 1/64 glow jig tipped with a 13 fishing soft plastic sneak (pink) and had pretty good luck this morning. with plastics I found just always keep the bait moving and they'll hit it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
20210123_112550.jpg
Oh i saw that. I was wondering what model/style of soft plastic from judges jaw jackers. That's what i was trying to ask. I have wing dings and mousies i think they were called.
Saturday we were using mostly the "wee waxies" depends on the day and what kinda fish were on.. If were on a lot of crappie ill start with an "assassin hatchling" if were on a real negative gill bite ill go tiny with a j-spike on a 3mm.. Roastin roaches are usually in the mix throughout most days.. Gl let me know if you have any questions any time.. Pic attached is 2 wee waxies in "atomic orange glow" on a 4mm tungsten..

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just got this order in the mail today. $20 delivered for all of this great stuff. That should last me for the next 10 years! View attachment 637163

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I really like the micro nuggies. Used them yesterday and
I just got this order in the mail today. $20 delivered for all of this great stuff. That should last me for the next 10 years! View attachment 637163

I had never tried plastics while ice fishing. I decided to try the Little Atom Micro Nuggies yesterday. They worked great. Caught several really nice gills and some big crappies with them. Im a believer now. So nice to not have to re-bait after every fish!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Those little J&S ice mites look killer under water, going to give em a run tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Johnyb87 here yah go. Some good stuff to try

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Any advice on getting the bite?

I'm efficient with a jig and a spike or two. I get their attention from a foot or so above bottom and then force them to chase upward until separated from the bottom a few more feet. Then, a little pause in my run from the fish and they usually take it. The same technique hasn't worked when I've tried my new plastics. I get a lot of interest but can't seem to entice the strike.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Any advice on getting the bite?

I'm efficient with a jig and a spike or two. I get their attention from a foot or so above bottom and then force them to chase upward until separated from the bottom a few more feet. Then, a little pause in my run from the fish and they usually take it. The same technique hasn't worked when I've tried my new plastics. I get a lot of interest but can't seem to entice the strike.

What am I doing wrong?

I found with the plastics keep it moving the whole time. You can jig aggressive at first then when they approach the bait don't stop jigging I usually steadily barely twitch the bait in place maybe raise the bait a couple inches while consistently micro jigging your bait. The key is always keep that plastic bait quivering and they'll hit it.

61 - 81 of 158 Posts