Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have any luck using the tiny soft plastic trailers for ice jigs while bluegill fishing? If so what kind?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Couple lakes I get the occasional perch in I have these pink wiggler looking plastics from judges jaw jackers. Bluegills hit them in a couple lakes, won't touch them in other lakes.

Aggravating thing is I bought some plastic red and white spikes and can't get a hit, then I put on a real red and white spikes and something inhales them. The plastic baits hold up so much better for the last half hour of the day I get most of my eater gills but they don't want them in some spots.

I have found they last a long time, I got a different kind of pink bait from gander 5 or 6 years ago and they are all still great in the package, I keep a few selections with me in case live bait isn't working I drop something new down on them and hope for the best.

I also have some RBM plastics I got in a kit this year but haven't tried them yet.

I also might not be jigging them right, I fish with a few other people that only use plastics and they ussually do OK on them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Anyone ever have any luck using the tiny soft plastic trailers for ice jigs while bluegill fishing? If so what kind?

You might try versamite jr. They are tiny and go well on a 3 or 4 mm fiskas. They are the only plastic I keep coming back to.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I use the custom jigs and spins ratso on 4-5mm tungsten. Always remember to turn your knot. The clam stuff works good too. Jamei, matdi. If they rush the bait but won’t hit change colors. Found the best color for me is the motor oil (ps that’s why it’s back ordered) or change jig head color. Sometimes they want glow,metallic. thing is u can’t stop the wiggle like live bait u gotta keep it moving.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Now I a very ol school..but 2 days ago I was fishing with a senior angler, nice guy..asked him what kind of bait he was using. He showed me.. the versamite..stopped on way home and picked some up. yesterday thought we would see..damn a little serprized, they work. switched to spikes and nothing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have had really good luck on h20 hammer plastics thru the ice and open water..... there have been numerous times when those plastics have out fished live bait for me

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have had decent success the past 2-3 years on gills with plastics. I am all for going as small / light as possible for gills through the ice. Lightest line, smallest jigs and bait you can get away with. That said, I have probably cut down every plastic I have used. Many of the plastics have a body and a tail or tentacles. Don't be afraid to cut down that body and - or tails. Get creative, you're just trying to imitate some little water bug while putting some sent on the jig.

·
Registered
579 Posts
1E30A764-3173-479E-80FC-69C07BCE0A53.jpeg
I used to buy a 1000 spikes at the beginning of the year for ever. 3 years ago I started using these after a friend gave me some to try while fishing one day. Haven’t touched live bait since. Gills, perch, specks, bass, northerns, brown trout, white fish. They all have fallen victim. Seems to catch bigger fish in my opinion based on direct comparison to guys fishing with live bait. Check em out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Another vote for the Little Atom's Nuggies and Micro Nuggies.

Pink or white work for me.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I still carry waxies and spikes with me but 99% of the time I’ll be using just plastics. Lots of local Michigan companies out there that are putting out some phenomenal products. Judges jaw jackers is one of my favorite Michigan companies. Adam is a great guy and his bag counts for your dollar are insane. I really like the brain bug and the panfish pins from him. Non-local, I’d definitely go with the panfish plastics chigger fry. Hands down my all time favorite and biggest producer on the ice and spring time open water. Once you make the switch to plastics, it’s hard to ever go back to live bait.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I have used these during the summer and they work very good. Don't know why they would not work in the winter if you keep them moving.
Picture did not work but very small purple twister tails.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
My favorite jig the past few years has been gold in color and haven't been able to find more in the stores anywhere, go figure. I've found gold ones but not the "exact" one I am looking for.

For plastics, I've tried to make myself use more but just can't make myself. But, a few years ago I had some gulp maggots. I couldn't keep gills, crappies, or bass off my line for several hours. I was hole hopping amongst a few others in just a small area and was out catching the group by far to the point it was comical. Haven't repeated that success with those since. Hard to change when live bait has been working.

·
Premium Member
10,608 Posts
View attachment 632735 I used to buy a 1000 spikes at the beginning of the year for ever. 3 years ago I started using these after a friend gave me some to try while fishing one day. Haven’t touched live bait since. Gills, perch, specks, bass, northerns, brown trout, white fish. They all have fallen victim. Seems to catch bigger fish in my opinion based on direct comparison to guys fishing with live bait. Check em out.
Do you use them as is, and what jig do you put them on?

·
Registered
783 Posts
My favorite jig the past few years has been gold in color and haven't been able to find more in the stores anywhere, go figure. I've found gold ones but not the "exact" one I am looking for.

For plastics, I've tried to make myself use more but just can't make myself. But, a few years ago I had some gulp maggots. I couldn't keep gills, crappies, or bass off my line for several hours. I was hole hopping amongst a few others in just a small area and was out catching the group by far to the point it was comical. Haven't repeated that success with those since. Hard to change when live bait has been working.
Acme makes a really nice gold jig....Sportsmans Warehouse had some a couple weeks ago 4 and 5mm

1 - 20 of 158 Posts