Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a private 80 acre parcel with a natural gas pipeline running through it. They have ROW, and keep it cleared- probably trim trees once every five years or so. I am thinking about planting a large portion of it with switchgrass and big blue stem to help screen the direction of the road and cabin, and to break up the property a bit / provide cover. Some people mentioned that the energy company/pipeline maintenance may spray shrub killer every now and then(not sure how that differs from gly) to manage the woody plants that are growing there. I am not sure how this specific chemical would affect switchgrass or BBS. I tried planting sorghum and egyptian wheat in this same area, but neither germinated hardly at all. We have pretty sandy soil, but pH is 6.3. I was wondering if this is a good idea at all, or if there are better options? Having something tall for these few acres that run through would change up the look of our property quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I don’t have any experience with either of those but my Ravenna grass is doing good in almost desert sand. I did dig big holes and put manure in them. I did water a couple times last summer as it was their first summer because of drought.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Chedda - Wondering where you ended up on this one? Have the same question regarding switch and the pipeline on our property.
I called DTE to see what my options are. I complained about poaching, because we had guys sitting in/on the road opening morning. I couldn't believe it, but confirmed that I had to create some sort of visual barrier. I plan to do two things- put snow fencing staggered at a highpoint in the pipeline so that cars passing down the road can't see down, and so the deer can't see them and get spooked. DTE said this would be fine, as long as I had Miss Dig come out before I put any t-posts in the ground and as long as they can access in case of maintenance needs. I also plan to plant cereal rye early spring as a cover crop, spray with gly in May and plant switchgrass. My major problem with my soil is water retention, so I'm hoping using rye as a cover will help with growth.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for following up. Interesting that the fence is ok. We've had plots in the pipeline but need to add screening for security and access. We've got pictures of maintenance crews passing through for inspecting the pipeline on our trail cams, but they've never done anything unexpected. Seems like they're mainly concerned with any woody growth. Wasn't sure where they drew the line for maintenance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for following up. Interesting that the fence is ok. We've had plots in the pipeline but need to add screening for security and access. We've got pictures of maintenance crews passing through for inspecting the pipeline on our trail cams, but they've never done anything unexpected. Seems like they're mainly concerned with any woody growth. Wasn't sure where they drew the line for maintenance.
Correct- they are mainly looking to clear woody plants. I sent DTE a message online, and someone reached out to me. They provided me with the individual that maintains that part of the pipeline so I could reach out to the right person should I have any more questions. I would suggest doing the same if you are going to make any major changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.