Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Beans were a bust in 2 plots so I turned them under last week and just started watching the forecast. Monday looked optimistic in my area, so I planted early yesterday morning. We barely got enough rain to knock down the dust on the roads.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
Hoping they get the forecast right this time. We haven't seen a half inch of rain in a long time so I am planting today. Have some weeds in a couple of the plots so I will be spraying them as soon as it warms up a little (it was too windy yesterday), and then I am drilling my fall cover crop. Will get out and vote when I am done. Fingers crossed.

Map Font Rectangle World Line

·
Registered
293 Posts
The corn I planted this spring was a failure, it germinated but remained stunted. I Roto tilled it under a few weeks ago and planted brassicas on July 16. Roto tilling helped break up the clay and bury all the corn stalks from last years crop. I put in purple tops, ground hog radishes, rape, kale and clover. I always want my stuff in around mid July, it gives the plants time to fight though my heavy clay. We got 0.8” a week ago and then some more the last day or so, maybe up to 1.5”, I’ll have to check the rain gauge when I get up there. So far everything is looking good.
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Road surface Sky
Plant Cloud Sky Natural landscape Agriculture
Plant Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant Soil
Plant Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant Annual plant

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The corn I planted this spring was a failure, it germinated but remained stunted. I Roto tilled it under a few weeks ago and planted brassicas on July 16. Roto tilling helped break up the clay and bury all the corn stalks from last years crop. I put in purple tops, ground hog radishes, rape, kale and clover. I always want my stuff in around mid July, it gives the plants time to fight though my heavy clay. We got 0.8” a week ago and then some more the last day or so, maybe up to 1.5”, I’ll have to check the rain gauge when I get up there. So far everything is looking good. View attachment 846117 View attachment 846112 View attachment 846113 View attachment 846114
Looks like you've got some really good even germination there. I wouldn't be afraid to top dress with urea in a week or 2 before a rain event and really watch it explode.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Planted brassicas 10 days ago, got 8/10's the next day. Came up good but need some rain soon. Tomorrow night an Thurs. looking good. knock knock...

View attachment 846138
Nice work on the timing. Almost an inch of rain the day after planting is fantastic.

I'll be watching the radar closely over the next 2 days, looking pretty promising. After Mondays bait and switch by the weatherman he owes me something, right?

·
Addicted2hunting4
980 Posts
When it rains.....it..... YEP... So for the first time in a couple of years I timed mine right. I don't have the luxury of watching for rain most often. I have a single weekend to get my plots in maybe a second if i am lucky. This year I was able to put them in on Sunday afternoon with a forecast of 40% chance of rain Monday. I crossed my fingers...

It came...in the thumb... down in buckets. I can never catch a break. From what i hear it was a wash out and i am guessing i lost a lot of seed due to it coming down hard and fast. Luckily I am on flat ground so it didn't wash away too far, but it sounds like it was flash flooding at my place.

More rain forecasted for tomorrow. Fingers crossed again the first dousing didn't push the seed too deep nor wash it away. And more fingers crossed for the rain tomorrow. I do have some hope that this year will treat me right with 3-4 days of rain after planting giving it a real good start.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
This is what my cover crop mix looked like when I mixed it up and drilled it yesterday (large seed box in my drill):

The gray seeds are Hairy Vetch with an inoculant coating. You can probably pick out the rest of it...oats, wheat, rye, cowpeas, buckwheat and radish. Small box had a variety of brassicas and clovers. I only planted this at 51#/acre so there should be room for a good dose of rye to broadcast over it in about a month.
Brown Grass Mixture Soil Pattern

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm having ptsd from Monday. Every time I check the radar and the hour by hour, it looks like rain is 2 or so hours away. When I check again in an hour or 2, rain is 2 hours away from then lol. That's what happened Monday and 2 hours later never came.

Around 4 or 5 o'clock today though, that great big blob looks like it can't miss. C'mon now, keep on coming...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hopefully my lack of motivation and not wanting to make a 3 hour round trip on a school night pays off :). Was going to make a run to the property yesterday to do the plots but just decided to wait since I will already be over there this weekend. Kinda bumming seeing the forecast was holding true. Looking at the radar, i'm kinda glad I didn't go. Looks like its going to be a heck of a downpour and would probably wash most of my seed out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hang in there throughtheice88 ! For our place, my info says we already got 0.3" or more, with up to 1" total by end of the day.

Now just need to keep it going every 3-5 days after that, so they don't pop up and then die.

Best of luck - Hoping today is like Christmas and everyone gets what they asked for, lol.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It is raining. I repeat. It is raining.

Radar looks good for the next few hours. Guessing I'll have a little seed runoff with this type of downpour but better than the alternative, my sandy loam is pretty permeable. A little hard rain can help work that broadcasted seed into the soil also.

I'll be looking ahead to that Sunday/Monday rain, but for now I'm gonna bask in this victory.

·
Registered
40,142 Posts
Iweather rainfall will give you an idea of the rainfall in your area of interest. It’s a radar based interpretation so it’s not perfect.

Reactions: throughtheice88
21 - 40 of 63 Posts