Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late July/beginning of August is fall plot planting time for me. Average first frost date in my region is October 7th, so seeding now gives brassicas a full 60 days to mature.

This summer has been a bust for rain, and the weatherman has betrayed me plenty of times in the past. But, this looks about as good as we've had in a while馃(even though I'm not holding my breath). I'll do a rain dance when I'm finished.

Font Circle Logo Brand Number

Registered
Not me, the 2" of rain for June and July still has not yet germinated the seed planted in late May! 馃槩

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not me, the 2" of rain for June and July still has not yet germinated the seed planted in late May! 馃槩
Yeah, my summer buckwheat planting made it a few inches out of the ground before it was toast. Normally I would be relying on the terminated buckwheat as a bit of soil and seed armor for my fall planting, but not gonna get that help this year. Really hoping for the rain tomorrow to get that seed germinated.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plots are in. Time to pray for rain.

Started with the home plot, then to my other property. Funny thing happened when I was there.

I'm rustling around in the very loud, dead thatch layer and swear I here someone yelling to me from up towards the road. I stop and look, thinking it must be the neighbor to the west of me. I didn't see anyone, so went about my business. Then I heard it again. So I stop and stare again, feeling like I must look pretty stupid to whoever is yelling because I just don't see anyone. So I go about my business again. Then I hear it again, this time with some rustling in the tall grass. It finally clicked. A fawn :LOL:! Sounds like he's coming my way, so I have some fun and start doing my best doe bleat imitation back to him, and wouldn't you know it he bleats back at me haha. Finally he pops out of the grass and walks right towards me before stopping and deciding I didn't look like his mama. He stood there for a good 2 minutes before non-chalantly walking by me at 5 yards heading to the brush behind me, continuing to bleat for his mama.

I hope mom doesn't have any issue finding him, I couldn't help myself but mess with him a bit. Didn't look all that old, I'd guess a later born fawn. Must have crossed the ditch to the west also judging by the muck on his legs.
Plant Ecoregion Fawn Grass Groundcover

Plant Grass Groundcover Terrestrial animal Terrestrial plant

Plant Vertebrate Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass

Registered
Plots are in. Time to pray for rain.

Started with the home plot, then to my other property. Funny thing happened when I was there.

I'm rustling around in the very loud, dead thatch layer and swear I here someone yelling to me from up towards the road. I stop and look, thinking it must be the neighbor to the west of me. I didn't see anyone, so went about my business. Then I heard it again. So I stop and stare again, feeling like I must look pretty stupid to whoever is yelling because I just don't see anyone. So I go about my business again. Then I hear it again, this time with some rustling in the tall grass. It finally clicked. A fawn :LOL:! Sounds like he's coming my way, so I have some fun and start doing my best doe bleat imitation back to him, and wouldn't you know it he bleats back at me haha. Finally he pops out of the grass and walks right towards me before stopping and deciding I didn't look like his mama. He stood there for a good 2 minutes before non-chalantly walking by me at 5 yards heading to the brush behind me, continuing to bleat for his mama.

I hope mom doesn't have any issue finding him, I couldn't help myself but mess with him a bit. Didn't look all that old, I'd guess a later born fawn. Must have crossed the ditch to the west also judging by the muck on his legs.
That is a pretty cool experience there TTI...and you have the photos to boot. Great job!

And...best of luck on the rain forecast. I am getting so I don't believe forecasts anymore so I'm holding off on planting for now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a pretty cool experience there TTI...and you have the photos to boot. Great job!

And...best of luck on the rain forecast. I am getting so I don't believe forecasts anymore so I'm holding off on planting for now.
I actually have an almost 3 minute video of it, I cut the pics from that. Maybe if I get the time I'll upload it to YouTube and post it here. Throughout the video I bleat at him and he answers quietly a couple times, tough to hear on the video though. Then after he walks by me and gets closer to the brush on the far side he let's out a pretty loud bleat that you can hear easily on the video. Pretty neat experience for sure.

And yes, after watching 50%+ chances of rain miss me all summer long, I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully the tide will turn a bit and we can start seeing some consistent precipitation. Fingers crossed.

Registered
Late July/beginning of August is fall plot planting time for me. Average first frost date in my region is October 7th, so seeding now gives brassicas a full 60 days to mature.

This summer has been a bust for rain, and the weatherman has betrayed me plenty of times in the past. But, this looks about as good as we've had in a while馃(even though I'm not holding my breath). I'll do a rain dance when I'm finished.

View attachment 845643
I planted all my rape, turnips and Whitetail Institute Wintergreens and Secret Spot today also !

Registered
I planted yesterday afternoon. 80% chance for rain this morning has disappeared, still hoping we get some but it doesn't look good. Maybe Wednesday now?
They were forecasting 1/2" of rain for us overnight. We got 0.17" early this morning. Enough to knock the dust down. I am going to spray 1 or 2 plots that have some weeds in them today and then drill my cover crops tomorrow in hopes of actually getting some of the forecasted rain Tuesday night.

We ended up with a total of 1.29" of rain for the entire month of July :(

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I planted yesterday afternoon. 80% chance for rain this morning has disappeared, still hoping we get some but it doesn't look good. Maybe Wednesday now?
You posted before I could hit the button. Chance of rain lowered to 40% today. Best chance looks to be around 10am by me. Might not be much, but it looks like a pretty nasty red cell if it doesn't weaken too much by the time it gets here.

With my plots being pretty level and only broadcasting my seed, I don't mind a good hard rain after planting. Not too worried about runoff, it seems to help beat the seed in a bit and help with seed/soil contact.

Registered
You posted before I could hit the button. Chance of rain lowered to 40% today. Best chance looks to be around 10am by me. Might not be much, but it looks like a pretty nasty red cell if it doesn't weaken too much by the time it gets here.

With my plots being pretty level and only broadcasting my seed, I don't mind a good hard rain after planting. Not too worried about runoff, it seems to help beat the seed in a bit and help with seed/soil contact.
Yeah the cell looks red, and it's supposed to be here around 10am also. Hopefully we get some, 1/2 inch would be nice. We got lucky and got 3 inches last week, first good rain we had in 5 or 6 weeks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah the cell looks red, and it's supposed to be here around 10am also. Hopefully we get some, 1/2 inch would be nice. We got lucky and got 3 inches last week, first good rain we had in 5 or 6 weeks.
We got .96 inches out of that rain system 2 weekends ago, the way it rained i thought we would have gotten more. For as dry as it is here we really need a few good inches to start getting some real moisture back in the ground.

That system looks a bit thin, I'd settle for 2 or 3 tenths even. Then hopefully get some more Wednesday or Thursday. Or both.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts