Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 1 acre of winding and narrow food plots ready to plant (sprayed, limed and fertilized). I am debating whether I should plant this weekend (labor day), or wait one week or even longer. I know that Ed Spin says to plant around labor day but some folks have suggested that labor day is too early for rye and it will be too tall by hunting season.
The property is located near Harrison and the soil is sandy and has never been planted on.
Last year I planted some different plots and by mid bow season the rye that the deer didn't eat was about 6-7" tall. Deer were still visiting the plots at this time, but I'm not sure if they were after the rye or the acorns which were easy 'picking' in the open areas where I had created plots (and fertilized).
What are your opinions on planting dates?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I said screw it and put down a 50# bag today, I put down based on what I have read this is the weekend to do it. If it takes great if not no biggie, just need some rain around here to get things rolling and the forcast dont look too good for rain.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Crowhunter.

What I'm trying to decide is what date (in the Harrison area) I should plant rye for good attraction in early November.
Should I plant in mid September? Late September?
Or is it okay to plant this weekend?

Some of the plotters on this forum have suggested that labor day is too early for grains.

I'm assuming the quality of the soil (which is sandy and never been planted) needs to be considered also when deciding an ideal planting date. In this I assume the rye will grow a little slower on poor soil as compared to 'tillable' soil.

Also, I'm planting in a non-agricultural area, so the rye will get a lot of pressure.

Another question: should I plant #100 per acre or say #150 per acre?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
FWIW, I planted my wheat last year on 9/5 in northern Illinois. Had great attraction from bow season up to the rut. I normally mix something with the wheat and we get our 1st frost around Oct12-15th. 100# of Rye should be adequate.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
I am planning on planting my rye and wheat this weekend, but I must admit that the warm weather has me nervous. I was briefly contemplating holding off a week, but everything is ready to go and I'm already going to be there this weekend - so it's going in.

One option may be to plant wheat instead of rye. Takes a little longer to germinate and a little longer to establish. Not much, but it might buy you the equivalent of of a week of rye growth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts