Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and a buddy are playing on going saturday but friday were sopose to get some raid and its a high of 32, im in the thumb area.

you guys think the ice is going to be safe?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
if it is safe now, then it will be safe saturday. 32 degree weather won't melt a lake, in fact, it will be thicker saturday than it is now, with it getting into the 20s (or lower) at night.

·
Registered
345 Posts
fordraceing_man said:
me and a buddy are playing on going saturday but friday were sopose to get some raid and its a high of 32, im in the thumb area.

you guys think the ice is going to be safe?

No problems mate, I'll be fishing too.

·
Super Moderator
37,722 Posts
ih772 said:
Take a spud with you and use it check the ice while you're walking.
:yeahthat: It scares the bejeepers out of me to think that someone would even think about going on line to ask if the ice will be safe. Sure, we have ice condition reports here, but they are very general reports, and in no way are intended to give the impression one can go wandering about willy nilly without checking the ice where they are for themselves. Even under the best of circumstances you could be on 12" of hard clear ice, and 20' away because of current or a spring, the ice could be 1/2" thick. be careful out there.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im new to ice fishing,i was out there all last weekend and the ice was good and im going to the same spot, i just wasn't sure if for some reason the rain screws up the ice or not.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
fordraceing_man said:
well im new to ice fishing,i was out there all last weekend and the ice was good and im going to the same spot, i just wasn't sure if for some reason the rain screws up the ice or not.
Since you are new then it is time for a few simple lessons. The first thing you have to learn is to be observant. Watch what the increase in temperatures does to the snow. Watch what it does to the ice. Watch what the rain does to the snow and ice.

One of the reasons that old timers got that way is because they paid attention to what is going on around them; and they paid attention all the time and are still watching.

Being outdoors can be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Rain won't do anything this early. First is is always the strongest ice, a little rian will help it because it will melt the snow off it, and cause the ice to grow better.

With how cold it has been, it is deffinently safe in any inland waters.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Can't Touch This said:
Rain won't do anything this early. First is is always the strongest ice, a little rian will help it because it will melt the snow off it, and cause the ice to grow better.

Rain sure made a difference last season. We got out in December only to have it all wiped away for the first part of January. But I agree, I don't think what is currently forecasted will be a big deal.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Can't Touch This said:
Oohhh, I don't know about that. Was on the west side of the state, north of Muskegeon, on Monday and Tuesday. It was surprising how much of the ice was not safe or was marginal at best.

Those of us down in the SE corner of the state sometimes do now know just how blessed we are to have Lake St. Clair with its sheltered bays which ice up early each season.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
ford, PM Jeremy L he is also from Bad Axe and knows the harbors well. The man should be a guide. ;) If there's fish to be found up there he can fill you in.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
No Offense Can't Touch This but you have made a grossly inaccurate statement.
First of all, we didn't have good ice to start with and now we have slush ice on top of what little we had which makes for some very shaky conditions.
I apologize to doubt your years of wisdom but try to err on the side of safety.
There are true novices reading these forums and for them to take your words literally would be comitting suicide. :yikes:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Rain most certainly can be very detrimental to ice conditions. I have seen 6" of ice go in a day due to rain, but I doubt that is going to happen this weekend. The rain I am talking about was on a 45 degree day and the extended forecast does not look that bad at all. As far as snow and slush, I am in the southern part of the state and we hardly have any of either on the ice here. In fact the ice is about 6-9" depending on where you are fishing down here. You should be fine to fish this weekend fordraceing man. Just be careful at all times on the ice no matter what report you get from someone, because I have seen people go through on a bad spot of thick ice. Also some guys don't cover up their spearing holes, which could be very detrimental. That being said have a great weekend on the ice, but always make sure to keep on your toes.

Ryan

·
Registered
148 Posts
Deffinetly NOT SAFE IN ANY INLAND WATERS. YIKES!!!! Most lake around here are not even fishable yet. Some have 5" but layered ice sluch ice slush. One wack with the spud goes right through. the lakes are honeycombed with ice ranging from 2-6". just be careful and check every step with a spud. Last ice is going to be ugly this year.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
I went out tonight on a local lake. The areas where the snow was blown off was 10" thick, the places where it was covered with 3 or more inches of snow the ice was only 2" thick. Take a spud with you!

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Please, Please, PLEASE PEOPLE ! These ice reports as said before are for general ideas of how the ice MAY be. Use your own judgement and your own SAFETY practices when venturing out onto unknown frozen waters. Always be cautious when out on the ice. ALWAYS !!! :rolleyes: :tdo12: ;) :grouphug: :fish2:

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
good luck, i'm thinking of hitting up the sebewang marina this week, i heard they were getting some in there!

ttyl
mike

1 - 20 of 31 Posts