Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have planer boards and only used them once last year.
I usually fish with my 11 year old son, and friends with little boat fishing experience.

I found the boards alot of work with the 4 downriggers. Some guys come out more and they are learning.

In 20-30 feet of water, if I dial the dipsy's to the last number, will they run out far, and be near the top 5-10 feet of water ?

In the spring the fish are shallow as you know, I would be running bombers off the dispy's, or dispy+dodger+fly.

Off the back of the boat we run back 40-60 feet back. Bboat noise is not much from an 8hp kicker. But we are probably missing fish off the sides

So would you struggle with the boards or are dispy's easier and do the job as well ?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
you could dial the dipsies past 3 1/2 and they would plane way to the sides but i still think they would be way to close to the boat if you only wanted them down 10 ft or so. They make smaller dipsys too which would be an interesting option. The situation you describe sounds like an ideal Planer Board situation. I would stick with the boards, once you get the hang of um they get pretty easy to deal with and extremely effective.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
If you really want to run lots of planar boards get a mast and some of the big boards. They're much easier to use than the in-line ones.

Try Ebay. You can find good deals from time-to-time.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Off the back of the boat we run back 40-60 feet back. Bboat noise is not much from an 8hp kicker. But we are probably missing fish off the sides
Pikedevil's right. In-line planer boards can be a dynamite technique in shallow water, and it's not difficult to run 4 boards without tangling into a clusterfudge nightmare. Just make sure that you don't reel an outer board across an inner board, or you'll be sorry you did. Be patient and wait until you can reel it up the chute, while keeping pressure on the fish.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys.
I do have the big double boards and a mast. Good price used.

The one time I ran them I had 4 riggers, both boards out each side. went fine until we hooked a fish.
Since all lines were shallow the one board fish tangled in the 4 rigger lines off back, we stopped the motor to clean the lines and net the fish.
Found fish on two other lines.
Then restarted the kicker, not knowing the boards were out back. The planer line wrapped around my kicker prop, no damage to motor but wow what a mess of the thick blue weedeater line i use.

i know it is from in-experience, but it was so much work I have not tried again.

I do know now , do not go in neutral with the boards out. You will drift over the planer lines, :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Although I run dipseys in my spring presentation, what your trying to do would best be accomplished with boards. If your gonna run 4 or less, inlines are not to difficult once you get the hang of it(Church Walleye Boards are my fav inlines, easier to use than birds and run better in most situations). If your going to run more than 4, or if you want a clean fight(i.e. no fighting dipseys or boards, just fish), rig up a mast and big boards.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Boards are definately the way to go in the spring but dont sacrifice one for the other. Dipseys work very well in any water over ten feet deep. I never fish without dipseys in the spring especially if the water is a little stained. I know guys think the boat scare fish to the sides and that is true in clear water. but in dirty water I think sometimes they actually drawn to it. I rember last year in the BWSF's first tournement of the year (mid April). Our most productive rods were bombers 5ft behind the ball 5ft down and dipseys set at 31/2 ant back 20ft.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Oh, and as far as fish not getting tangled in the other lines when your bring it in. If you find a way to do it let me know. It just part of fishing tight water...:eek: :eek: ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank again

5 down, 5 back, :eek:

I would like to see that rod pop, :D

I have to get used to running some lines close. I landed a nice brown back 7 on the surface in the propwash.

Funny thing is when i put the lines back i always go way back. When I know in close is good too. You are right sometimes the prop is an attractor. I have to learn to be more flexible and experiment.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Originally posted by AlanJ
5 down, 5 back, :eek:

I would like to see that rod pop, :D

I have to get used to running some lines close.
When you run them close, most of the time the rod won't pop up, it just pops loose and the fish will dive, bending the rod over double and screaming drags.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you run a mast/planer system, I would suggest that you run the outside lines farther back from the clip than the inside lines. That way when the fish hits the outside line, he is more likely to drift back past the inside line before swinging up from behind in the chute. The same goes for dipsys. I run the smaller dipseys on the outside since they need more line to get down to the same depth as the larger dipseys on the inside. No matter if you are running planer board, dipseys, riggers, or a combination, I would suggest keeping the boat moving forward unless you absolutely have to stop, turn, or go back. It's easier to tire the fish out in the chute while you're moving slowly forward than to put it in neutral and let them run you around the horn. A lot less chance for line tangling.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Try running those slider divers. They're a lot like regular dipsey's but you can send as much line out behind the dipsey as you want and then run the diver shallow near the boat. You can still run boards with the slider diver if you want to.

We use slider divers a lot in the spring and again in the fall and they work great.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I just made some planer boards from plans I found on-line. They are easy to make and the total cost to outfit myself is probably around $45-$50. I made them so I can take them apart quickly for easy storage. I don't have a big lake boat, just a 16" rowboat that I can run the shallows in Spring with. I have high hopes for this Spring.

What are good lures for Spring Trout and Salmon in shallow? I am thinking Rapalas, Bombers, and maybe Spoons?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Originally posted by Oakley
If you run a mast/planer system, I would suggest that you run the outside lines farther back from the clip than the inside lines. That way when the fish hits the outside line, he is more likely to drift back past the inside line before swinging up from behind in the chute. The same goes for dipsys. I run the smaller dipseys on the outside since they need more line to get down to the same depth as the larger dipseys on the inside. No matter if you are running planer board, dipseys, riggers, or a combination, I would suggest keeping the boat moving forward unless you absolutely have to stop, turn, or go back. It's easier to tire the fish out in the chute while you're moving slowly forward than to put it in neutral and let them run you around the horn. A lot less chance for line tangling.
The problem being that when you have a release on the outside line, then send your next inside line down, you have to make each one sequentially shorter, unless your going to reset all your lines when any but the inside most line release. If you keep them the same on either side(keep port leads one length, starboard another), you'll always clear if you give it time. Don't start horsing the fish in until it drops back. Your outermost line will always have enough line to clear, as it is going to have more line out anyway, due to being further from the boat.

Dipseys or inlines would be a different situation since the all have their own lines(not one main planer line)...

Fishndude, shallow bombers, really any shallow stick/body bait, work well in spring for bouncing the shore.

·
Registered
381 Posts
What Jason said....in spring in particular, I would not be without my boards. I run two big ski type ones about 50-60 ft off each side. Depending on depth and lures( usually HJ rapala's shallow or deep divers) I'll have them back 175 to 70 ft. What ever you do have these as your longest lines back. Then do the drop back think after your hook-up and you'll be fine. Last year I started running full core off the boards and on calm days this method was deadly too. We've caught nice steelhead in deep water, >100 ft, in June/July out of Harbor Beach/Sanilac with rapalas running 12-15 ft down, 150 ft off the boards. I love planar boards !!!!

The Terminator.

Alan, where can I get those grubs in Sarnia ?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
i have 2 big jon mast and reels for sale if anyone is interested. also we make and sell big boards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts