Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using my offshores to position lures off the walls and banks of rivers,such as port huron river front,, or algonac, can position lures exactly where I want them and let them hang there while I run another rod. anyone else use this idea? hows your success been with them?

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
John, I've played with this a lot over the years. I've taken some nice salmon from the bank with this method. Only cause I had time to kill and I was curious as to if it would work. This was back before the smaller boards available now. Fortunately I didn't lose a board back then!

·
Premium Member
29,588 Posts
Did it once years ago at the singing bridge out into the surf. Worked good, but no fish were caught on it. I work in saint clair, and though of trying it down at the Marysville launch parking lot. Just haven't done it yet. Also wanted to try it at the Soo for salmon, but since that fishery went way down to nothing, haven't there either. The Saginaw river due to slow current and winds, for the most part, doesn't have enough current. But I have been thinking of making a bridge net, and fishing off those little overlooks each one in town has. ;)

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Did it once years ago at the singing bridge out into the surf. Worked good, but no fish were caught on it. I work in saint clair, and though of trying it down at the Marysville launch parking lot. Just haven't done it yet. Also wanted to try it at the Soo for salmon, but since that fishery went way down to nothing, haven't there either. The Saginaw river due to slow current and winds, for the most part, doesn't have enough current. But I have been thinking of making a bridge net, and fishing off those little overlooks each one in town has. ;)
Ralph, have you or know anyone that tosses jigs with paddle tails with success from shore? Got so many and know some big fish come on those when casting in lakes. They cast a mile and you could run it at any speed or depth you'd want looking for fish and with a nice minnow profile seems like they'd work well too. I've gotten a lot of bass on them in rivers and inland lakes but never tried specifically for walleyes other than vertically.

·
Premium Member
29,588 Posts
Ralph, have you or know anyone that tosses jigs with paddle tails with success from shore? Got so many and know some big fish come on those when casting in lakes. They cast a mile and you could run it at any speed or depth you'd want looking for fish and with a nice minnow profile seems like they'd work well too. I've gotten a lot of bass on them in rivers and inland lakes but never tried specifically for walleyes other than vertically.
My favorite jig to toss and retrieve in the river is a "mimic minnow" in the perch pattern with a paddle tail. Works good jigging also. I like the 1/4 oz. Haven't done well through the ice, but boat and shore it works good..maybe it looks like all those little perch they're eating! ;):lol: ..

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
My favorite jig to toss and retrieve in the river is a "mimic minnow" in the perch pattern with a paddle tail. Works good jigging also. I like the 1/4 oz. Haven't done well through the ice, but boat and shore it works good..maybe it looks like all those little perch they're eating! ;):lol: ..
Comeon now, when we said they eat all the perch we didn't literally mean ALL, haha, just a big enough majority of them to keep the population from BOOMING!

I know some noise and vibration can attract them and let them hone in on the baits at night which is where I was thinking I could insert these little rattles that I have because there is enough plastic in a paddle tail to do that. Always trying to think of something new, maybe not new to someone else but new to me. Seen too many guys come up with something a little different that works which can make all the difference in a good day and bad day while fishing. I'm sure you've seen these before:

Reactions: Ralph Smith

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
You guys using actual planers that you'd use on the bay to troll or these things they call side planers:

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
when all else fails, find a spot on the river you can drive your car and just troll from it like this guy, lol:

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Just the regular ones you use trolling. They make a small one, both church and offshore also.
Watching one of those videos though it seemed as though the individual demonstrating it was able to get his plug way across a river that didn't have an excessive amount of flow and it was not straight out, but not as much angle as I would have thought either. This would be in reference to the comment you made that the river sometimes lacks the current needed to get it out there (obviously a N, NE, E wind kills the current). Just not sure if it could handle a deeper diving/heavier plug since I think the floaters and shallow divers are used simply because the eyes are trapping that bait between the deep and shoreline in that shallower stuff and feed upwards and nobody wants to break off a bunch of $5-10 plugs. You'd definitely cover more water fan casting anyways so I doubt I'd use one up there for walleye. Steel heading though, man, always seems like there is a run you just can't quite get to on that other side:)

Reactions: Ralph Smith

·
Registered
2,682 Posts

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
I think those little ones that are in my post above would work with minimal current maybe.
When I was fishing off the wall in Port Huron alot I thought about it. I think it would work well, as when I was fishing off the wall it was just like trolling. A 2 pound weight to anchor my line and then a leader line hooked to the main line with a spoon. The reason I did not do it was that if every other pole on the wall has someone fishing, that the chances of gettting snagged in other peoples lines increased.
Might only by a few yards off the wall with the weight, with a planer board you could be way out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts