Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Looking for answers on why my planer boards won't track well on either the starboard or portside depending on wind direction. It seems no matter what heading or speed under 2.2, I travel, except in calm seas, one side of the boards seems to travel nearly behind the boat. I have my planer line running out in front of the helm and a good 6 feet from the water surface. I'm running the orange collapsible plastic boards, can't remember the brand, but I know they are not Rivera’s.
Thanks for the help.
Rick

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
they are too light. they are skipping across the waves . add some lead (maybe 4-8 ounces) on the bottom out side board about where the tie off point is. mine were the same way. went back to collapsible wood boards. had canons and riveara's. you are supposed to troll with the wind too.it makes the lure dart and dive. some people like big jon otter boards or offshore triple boards. they track better.i have used otters.junk. give me some 3 foot wood boards any day.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The key to Otter boards is how far forward the knot is tied, My Otter boards have never failed, never flipped no matter how many weeds they are dragging. They work well in rough seas or calm, with, sidways, or against the waves.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I have Otter boards on my boat, and as was previously said, it all depends on the knot position. We troll them with the wind, against, cross-breeze...does not matter, they always work. The only time we have a tracking problem is in a cross breeze, then your boat is actually tracking slightly to one side or the other, affecting the tracking of your boards. I don't know what brand of board you are using, but if you can adjust the position of where the tow-line anchor point is, you may be able to get them to track further and more forward by moving the anchor point more to the rear of the board. This may give you problems when making turns though.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
those would be cannon boards because thats what i have and does the same thing. Thanx now i know what to do about problem also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts