Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am heading up to the Sault this Monday to knock catching a pink salmon off the bucket list. Will not have a boat and was wondering if somebody would be kind enough to tell me where to fish for them. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Next to the valley camp was a good spot also next to the power house. Been MANY years since I fished it so make sure uts still allowed. Pink cleos with black dot and swedish pimples with pink glitter tape were hot lures when I fished it. Gl and take pics

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Good luck. Most of the shore places in the soo are no more. South side of the powerhouse (blue rail) is all caved in and closed to the public and the city doesnt have money to fix it. Next to the valley camp is now a federal docking area so no longer able to fish there either. The marina on the other side of the valley camp is fishable but not great. Best bet would be on sugar island or mainland side where the ferry crosses. Also this is an off year for pinks. Not many are being caught unless you go to canada. Next year would be better.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just returned from the Soo, yesterday. Fished the mornings for 3 days. Fishing was very slow. Only hooked one pink salmon and two kings, both on the Michigan side. Did not fish the rapids. Water was extremely high (over the cement berm).

The Power Plant has been closed to fishing for about 3 years now. Used to fish there at the end of June and early July. Extremely limited access for shore fisherman now.

Even tried some of the rivers on the North Shore of Superior, hoping a Coho or two would be around. No luck there either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for all your help. Spent a long day fishing at the Soo on Monday and only had two follows. Talked to a gentleman that has been fishing there for 2 weeks and he said it was the worst it has been in 20 years. Lord willing I will be able to go back up next September and spend more time.
Thanks again
Randy

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Not sure what you guys mean by they closed the powerhouse? Its still up and running and you can still hook onto it without a problem. You can still go in and tour it as well. Just cant fish off the blue rail is all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts