Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see alot of areas planted with pines and oaks mixed and they look real thick. It does not seem like it takes very long either maybe around 7-12 years. I think I have my hunting partners talked into helping foot the bill next fall to buy enough trees to plant around 5 acres (1/2 of a ten acre plot which is scheduled for 5 acres of a fall food plot this year). But one of the 2 guys wants hickory planted in with the trees? Any comments pro or con? I have not talked to my forester about this yet, just wanted some insight.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
You would be better off planting shrubs for deer browse and cover. Plant oaks for a mast crop. Just remember it takes about 20 years to get acorns. If your area has quite a few deer, plant shrubs that are not heavily browsed by deer. I would not plant "pines" red pine has virtually no wildlife value. White pine is browsed by deer, and is good cover for the first 20 years. Then most pines will drop their lower limbs.

I would plant Norway spruce, they grow fast and their limbs will grow tight into each other. They do not drop their limbs. They are also not browsed heavily by deer.

Try to create as much edge as possible. That is how you maximize wildlife, deer ect. Plant strips, blocks of cover 1 acre or less in size. If you create islands of cover, using shrubs, then plant spruce around the islands then connect the islands with strips of shrubs. The deer will love it.

When creating blocks of cover, remember a rectangular acre has more edge than a square acre. Create rectangle, and irregular edges.
Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bishs
Alot of good advice thanks. Though my intentions are really for the long term, The field is right on a 2 lane highway, (very heavily traveled) My cabin and future house is just in the woods
(off the road about 500 feet) but I can still see the field and road.
I want to block off the traffic along with leaving my kids anouther red oak stand of timber. The reason I ask is because you here so many people planting for tomaroo and not enough planting for the next generation. We were joking this weekend about how old we would be when the trees got to be pole length. I think the answer was about as old as dirt! LOL.
I thought the reason they plant oaks and pines was for the competition in the oaks early years but I was not sure??? The oaks will be a BIG investment for me anyway and the more info I get now may save me bucks in the future.
Thanks again Bish, I will need to remember edges when planting and maybe make a few more than I had planned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts