Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Pine river near Standish

2340 Views 16 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  BillBuster
Looking to go out from DNR launch there. Have never used it before. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Closer to St. Louis it was heavily polluted.

The headwaters <cough> might have a few trout.
I’ll stay away from St. Louis
Reactions: PunyTrout
That’s a whole different river than the pine near Standish.

The dirt road going to it can be bumpy at times. The launch is good but you need to go slow heading out to the bay past the mouth of the river as it can a little shallow. I have not been there is a few years so you may get better info from others.
Different river

Same now. No different. Lots of shallow cattail shoreline. You can launch there tho. I walk out from there to ice fish. Parking is a challenge usually with all the other fisherman
The dirt road going to it can be bumpy at times. The launch is good but you need to go slow heading out to the bay past the mouth of the river as it can a little shallow. I have not been there is a few years so you may get better info from others.
Have you launched there lately
Same now. No different. Lots of shallow cattail shoreline. You can launch there tho. I walk out from there to ice fish. Parking is a challenge usually with all the other fisherman
Not this year I haven't. Last fall was the last trip out there
Have you launched there lately
Reactions: sparky18181
I've been out of that launch a couple times this year with my 18'. No issues, it is about 3' at the mouth by the cat tails but other than that no problem. Watch for nets as they are out there sometimes from Palmers fishery. Ran out a couple miles to a hole out there and have done okay both times. Not gangbusters like the inner bay but less congestion at the launch and catching enough for a meal.
Much less traffic
I've been out of that launch a couple times this year with my 18'. No issues, it is about 3' at the mouth by the cat tails but other than that no problem. Watch for nets as they are out there sometimes from Palmers fishery. Ran out a couple miles to a hole out there and have done okay both times. Not gangbusters like the inner bay but less congestion at the launch and catching enough for a meal.
The Pine you are referring to combines with the Tittabawassee in Midland and enters the bay through the Saginaw River in Bay City. I have only caught trout in the Pine below the dam in Alma when I was a kid (back about the time of Christ). They have been cleaning up the area in St. Louis and have a seriously big cleanup operation in process right now. Not sure how bad the river itself is polluted at present but back in the 60's you could go over it on M-46 bridge and see nothing but white on top of the water next to the chemical plant. They dumped a lot of s**t in there at that time but tore it down in 70's after major contamination with cattle feed and PBB's. Still cleaning up.

Reactions: PunyTrout
The ops pine near Standish is no where near St. Louis
Try it Kevin ? Hope ya did and caught what ya were after !
Looking to go out from DNR launch there. Have never used it before. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
Gonna wait until next week after my family go home.
Try it Kevin ? Hope ya did and caught what ya were after !
Be careful of the nets out there. About 4 years ago we were trolling south of there a little and out in 23 foot of water. We were in the net before we knew what was happening. Partner lost two bottom bouncers and two harnesses. After we got caught up in them we could barely see the marker post which was not far away, just barely visible. Sure ruins your day.
Gonna wait until next week after my family go home.
Reactions: Carpenter Bill
Yes this! I have dodged them for years while duck hunting. Very irritating how they hardly mark them. It can also become dangerous, when your prop gets into one during a blow. Some of them are just below the surface.
Be careful of the nets out there. About 4 years ago we were trolling south of there a little and out in 23 foot of water. We were in the net before we knew what was happening. Partner lost two bottom bouncers and two harnesses. After we got caught up in them we could barely see the marker post which was not far away, just barely visible. Sure ruins your day.
Reactions: Deer Slayer
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.