Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a relatively new trapper and have been trying to trap a marten (or less likely a fisher) at my family's cabin in Chippewa county (outside of Pickford) while up for Muzzleloading the last couple years. Admittedly I don't know what I'm doing and have never seen a marten in the area but think they should exist. I've been setting six traps (belisle #120s in a mailbox mounted to a tree or blow-over) with some type of bait (venison or beaver) and marten scent on wool. I've set traps near a creek w/alder thickets around edges, in a heavier cedar swamp, and on some upland planted pines that are full of red squirrels. I've had no success and am just looking for advice on what habitat type is best to target in the area, I know they're kinda rare in the area but will appreciate any advice. I think our property has a pretty representative mixture of habitat types of the area (lots of cedar swamp, some hardwoods, sandy area with lots of pines and spruce w/open field interspersed)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm a relatively new trapper and have been trying to trap a marten (or less likely a fisher) at my family's cabin in Chippewa county (outside of Pickford) while up for Muzzleloading the last couple years. Admittedly I don't know what I'm doing and have never seen a marten in the area but think they should exist. I've been setting six traps (belisle #120s in a mailbox mounted to a tree or blow-over) with some type of bait (venison or beaver) and marten scent on wool. I've set traps near a creek w/alder thickets around edges, in a heavier cedar swamp, and on some upland planted pines that are full of red squirrels. I've had no success and am just looking for advice on what habitat type is best to target in the area, I know they're kinda rare in the area but will appreciate any advice. I think our property has a pretty representative mixture of habitat types of the area (lots of cedar swamp, some hardwoods, sandy area with lots of pines and spruce w/open field interspersed)
They are called pine marten for a reason. Concentrate on Pine and spruce forests with a strong call lure. Gusto is my go to lure..

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I’ve never even tried trapping a Pine Martin but there is one universal and elementary bit of advice I can offer you irregardless of the target animal- “set on sign not where you think they should or could be”

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Somewhere someplace I once read to use grape jelly for bait/lure... laugh away. Ive never tried catching one. My sons have.

Personally Is think Gusto would be much better.
Lots of youtubes on marten trapping.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Setting on sign can be hit or miss here in Michigan with a 9 day season. I generally set funnels and habitat edges and play the wind with a strong call. And yes , marten have a sweet tooth. Grape jelly is a fact

·
Registered
899 Posts
Peanut butter is my go to lure.

Reactions: J-TRON

·
Registered
571 Posts
Somewhere someplace I once read to use grape jelly for bait/lure... laugh away. Ive never tried catching one. My sons have.

Personally Is think Gusto would be much better.
Lots of youtubes on marten trapping.
Sitting at a bear bait I've seen many marten in Canada and Michigan's UP making off with donuts....I'll make a set by a bear bait come trapping season and will always catch a marten or fisher....also get trail camera picture that confirm even if there not seen while I'am hunting....

I always pre-season bait a piece of beaver, deer or fatty beef with a bone wired to the inside of a 9"x9"x 18" deep box with 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth back....usually start mid-October after most bears are in hibernation...they will destroy a trap box...having a bone is important they will come back many times to just chew on it....if you can leave your trap box out year round all the better....
For lure I use beaver castor, anise and put 2 drops of skunk in box...having hardware cloth back allows the wind to get a lot of air to move threw the box dispersing scent....

Don't pull your traps on the last day of the season until after dark...in the past 15 years twice ran my line for rats, mink, beaver, otter, coyotes and marten-fisher in the morning only to come back to pull marten-fisher set to catch one to fill my limit....

Make sure the day before a snow storm you have fresh bait and lure...I've caught many the day after a storm with not a track to be seen....

It takes a lot of extra work trapping marten-fisher baiting...they are more of a trophy than other animals you trap like bobcats....other than a unusual color martin-fisher all mine are sold to taxidermist....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts