Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish a lake with a large pike population... last night i lost a estimated 40 incher when he wrapped me up in the weeds(man was my drag zipping, hooked on a shallow crankbait while bass fishing) so now that I know there are quality pike in this lake.. what are some late spring/ summer tips for pike. thanks

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
I can't really help you, until I know the lake you were fishing:evilsmile It sounds to me like you already found "what" works.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
throw a sucker under a bobber and hold on.

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
:yeahthat:

I have had my best luck on Pike with Sucker Minnow about 5 - 6 feet under a bobber. I normally drag two rods setup like this along dropoffs, with the "outside" rod set deeper than the "inside" rod. You will catch lots of Bass, along with Pike, doing this.

I have pulled fairly large Pike out of mounds of underwater weeds, with 6 lb line. I just get right over the top of them, and slowly pull the line with my hands until either the weeds or the line gives.

You almost can't use too large of a Sucker minnow, but I normally like them about 5 - 6 inches long. I have caught 11 inch Bass on a 6 inch minnow before. I love it when that bobber starts to dance, just before it shoots under. I usually wait for a slow count of 10 before I set the hook if Pike are around. If they take the bait and run, I start counting when they stop. Bass just swallow the minnow whole, so I cut the line if I am releasing them and the hook is down their gullet.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,708 Posts
Troll rattle traps. I usually pick up a pike or two when I do this. Never got one over 36 inches myself though, fishing any kind of way.
Also any deep bomber or thunderstick or similar type lure trolled around deeper weed beds gets em for me in certain places.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I have been smackin Pike this spring. I have been running shallow cranks over the young weeds. Bump up your Line to 10 pound test and use a short thin wire leader along a medium heavy rod and he's all yours.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've had my best outings trolling 9" black w/prism finish Grandma's spring and fall. When the weeds are up more through the summer, I like to go the either a black or chartruese two blade bass spinner bait with a long thin pork trailer. Rarely have an outing with a zero. Don't worry about the 9" crankbait, I've caught pike barely a foot long as well as bass.

·
Registered
517 Posts
bassman25 said:
I fish a lake with a large pike population... last night i lost a estimated 40 incher when he wrapped me up in the weeds(man was my drag zipping, hooked on a shallow crankbait while bass fishing) so now that I know there are quality pike in this lake.. what are some late spring/ summer tips for pike. thanks
Sounds like you know how to hook'em just need some heavier line to land them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts