Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on targeting Pike on a lake. I have only fished the Saginaw River through the ice. I think I would like to venture out a bit.

Any info would be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Generally speaking - look for drop offs, or shelf edges. However, there are a lot of lakes that have not discernible contours. If thats the case, I look for changes in the shoreline, especially inlets or outlets (assuming the ice is safe). Essentially, pike are going to cruise breaks in the terrain and stay in fairly shallow water as compared to panfish. Weed edges are a great spot for a tip up also. Make sure your minnow is 18" or so above the bottom or top of the weeds.

I'd suggest posting lakes and asking members to look at the lakes. Here is a link to DNR contour maps by county as well.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364_52261-67498--,00.html

·
Registered
448 Posts
I know of people that jig for pike kinda like you do walleye which I have never done but tip up fishing is fun. Set out a few tip ups with some buddies leave enough lines out that you can legally fish for panfish while waiting for a flag and enjoy. I personally like to fish weeds or weed edges next to deeper water, and I have had success with setting the shiner 10" from the bottom and 4 foot below the ice, let the fish tell you what they like. Pike do tend to look up if that is any help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Of course you can jig for pike but your success rate may be less. Its my opinion that pike like live bait better. But people hook pike on tear drops with regularity too. I'm convinced pike will hit a 2x4 if their hungry enough.

·
Registered
406 Posts
When we fish for pike on a new lake, we will spread the tipups around the different features, then as you get bites, relocate to the areas you get bites...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If I'm fishing for Pike I use those Frabil 10" orange Tip-ups. 100' of 30 lb test #6 treble hook with a blue or grey sometimes a sucker if I'm trying for a bigger pike. I catch a lot of pike jigging for walleye, #5 or #6 sweedish pimple tipped with a minnow head. There's some BIG Pike out there Good Luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If I'm fishing for Pike I use those Frabil 10" orange Tip-ups. 100' of 30 lb test #6 treble hook with a blue or grey sometimes a sucker if I'm trying for a bigger pike. I catch a lot of pike jigging for walleye, #5 or #6 sweedish pimple tipped with a minnow head. There's some BIG Pike out there Good Luck.
These and more were caught last weekend in SW MI using the exact techniques stated above

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts