Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw snow outside. No, I have not been consuming hallucinogens. ;) I kid you not. Practically microscopic flakes.

Anyways, I'm very interested in what others use to haul pike onto the ice, other than the timeless and functional tip-up.

Do you use natural bait on a dead rod? or do you use artificials? If so, what kind? and what technique?

Also, what does your setup look like? What type of rod/reel? I've been considering going for a baitcast setup. If I were to get the right rod, what reel would I use? The same as I would use during the warm water months? For instance, an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur. Any thoughts/experienced opinions?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had good luck last year using the tried and true Swedish Pimple tipped with a minnow. Caught lots of pike on that set-up last year. Use several different rod and reel combos. You can get a lot of combos from different manufacturers, just depends on what you like. Fighting a nice pike on a little rod is a blast.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another good way is to cut a bigger hole, buy 2 decoys and spear them. It is real fun, and can be tough at times.

I also Like a good size pink jig head hook through the eyes of a dead smelt. That has taken a lot of pike for me.

Good Luck.

Brent

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree, dead smelt is the ticket. As far as live bait goes, I have had a lot of success with a golden shiner hooked through the back with a red and white spinner, but be careful what size you use.

dead smelt also is a good way for the lazy fisherman in the summer months. The rig is as follows. (allows for more beer drinking)

(if you don't believe me i caught the pike on my pic gallery using this exact method.)

Begin with a large J hook (AKA a sweedish hook)..if you've never seen these before it is a very large single barbed hook in the shape of a J. You'll know what they are if you see them in a tackle store, they come in packs of only 5. Now you take the smelt (better if half frozen) and basically run the hook (barbed end first) in the back end of the smelt, up to the back of the head, then push up exposing the barb. In the water the rig will look like a suspended smelt with the shaft of the hook rising above the tail. Attach a pike bobber and release your bail. when the bobber goes down (and trust me, it will) wait a few seconds, flip the bail and set the hook. The big trick with landing pike on a large signle barbed hook is (many lost fish to know this) ALWAYS keep tension on the line, DO NOT let any slack or the fish will spit the hook out. This technique also is equally effective on tip-ups! Usually resulting in larger pike.

Good luck

Casey

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I don't set tip-up's much, but if I want a pike on LSC. I'll use a large river type of jig, with a good size white twister tail grub. I put a stinger hook on it and attach two large Emerald shiners to the main hook. Place a small chunk of rubber (like from the twister grub) over the hook past the barb. this will keep the minnows on. After that, Sit back grab a beer and relax. Find the bottom and keep the jig about 6 inches off or above the bottom/weeds. Give it a one to two foot lift let it drop- let it sit- wiggle, or lightly jig it a few seconds and repeat the lift. Its a blast to set into one of those 4 foot logs on a light spinning reel. Have your drag set and keep the tip below the ice hole so your line won't get frayed. \

I have landed a few Musky and a lots of pike doing this. its a relaxing way to spend the day . good luck.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ed Michrina said:
...After that, Sit back grab a beer and relax...
Certainly you don't condone under-age drinking, right? ;) Don't worry, I will NOT do that.

Fascinating approach though, Ed Michrina. I will be sure to try it. What type of rod are you using?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I agree Beer can be substituted for root beer .

I just use my same ice fishing perch/walleye rods. Not real stiff. Quantum reels. I've had the big boys almost spool me a few times. take your time and you can get just about anything in. Have a gaff and be careful to hook it under the chin. (if they have one) Jaw, if you plan on releasing the fish or have a Musky on. In fact if anyone wants to know where to hook a nice musky or Pike (Musky catch and release. and don't expose them out in the open air form more than a few seconds) give me a pm. It's on LSC by the way. :fish:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts