Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went casting a spot for the first time of the year looking for pike. Lots of pike bumping the lures, but only 6 hookups and landed. But one was this nice 34” fish.

9E936ADE-2C95-4FE0-BCD4-205CFEB54583.jpeg

It was bleeding more than I like to see so I put it in the livewell. After it filled, I dumped the pink kool-aid and refilled. That water stayed clear, so probably safe to release. Pulled it out of the live well to put a tape measure on it since the bump board was too short again. It did this to my deck because it didn’t want to be measured.
BE1B2398-924F-4A3B-B2DE-0FB40BAC0DEF.jpeg

Got most fish on this guy.
061C8EF0-43F6-4D1C-BD01-80571CBC38CD.jpeg

Also has action on some swimbaits. The big Rockies were hitting too with a couple around 11”, and I watched a master angler bite, get hooked for a second, and then pop off.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was one miss I wish I got a look at. It was on a swimbait with most of the line still out. The rod loaded up really good on the hook set and I felt two slow, deliberate head shakes before there was nothing. I’m guessing it had its teeth into the rubber good enough that even with that hook set it didn’t pull the hook into anything, and then the fish just opened its mouth & dropped it. Maybe that’s the 40 incher I’m still looking for.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Snap the rod mid cast assuming your casting a ways with the spinner, the change in speed some times will result in a strike. I used to do that when casting for musky, also used to flip the rod from left side to right, or vice versa, which would change the angle the lure came in and that would sometimes trigger them to strike instead of just follow.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snap the rod mid cast assuming your casting a ways with the spinner, the change in speed some times will result in a strike. I used to do that when casting for musky, also used to flip the rod from left side to right, or vice versa, which would change the angle the lure came in and that would sometimes trigger them to strike instead of just follow.
Catching a weed mid retrieve and snapping it free has the same effect. In the last 20 feet of the retrieve as the lure starts rising to the surface, that slight change of direction tends to get more hits than anything I do further from the boat. Plus I get to see the strikes in person.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When a pike follows what is she saying to you?? She is saying, bro I want to eat but your going a little fast and not making it fun for me...lol Get your husky jerk out or any bigger suspending model, and tease that chick like a house cat!! If you fish for pike plenty and learn how to use a jerk bait, your short leaders become...useless. I like knot 2 kinky in about 30", not kidding.. Oh and when its warm the x-rap 12 is game on... Glass ghost and hot steel are your buds, have fun...

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When a pike follows what is she saying to you?? She is saying, bro I want to eat but your going a little fast and not making it fun for me...lol Get your husky jerk out or any bigger suspending model, and tease that chick like a house cat!! If you fish for pike plenty and learn how to use a jerk bait, your short leaders become...useless. I like knot 2 kinky in about 30", not kidding.. Oh and when its warm the x-rap 12 is game on... Glass ghost and hot steel are your buds, have fun...
I threw some soft jerkbaits but couldn't get pike to touch them, but did get some rock bass. Do you have any tips on working a husky jerk over thick weeds 12" from the surface? I usually put away the diving lures in conditions like that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I threw some soft jerkbaits but couldn't get pike to touch them, but did get some rock bass. Do you have any tips on working a husky jerk over thick weeds 12" from the surface? I usually put away the diving lures in conditions like that.
The suspenders are supreme for pike.. those conditions are tough....no edge to fish? Ever try a big rubber grub, up to 8"? Lure wise pike, that want to eat love them...no flash, no noise...safe meal they think..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kalins mogambo...is a cool one as well as the lunker 5" no salt so your spinners and jigheads won't rot if you forget to take them off or just leave them on....

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haven't tried any mondo sized grubs. Swimbaits on a jig head have a nice slow side to side roll that works really well. To be honest, when the fish are turned on, they will damn near smash anything. But when they are neutral, something slow and steady with a heavy thump works better than something with faster vibrations. Swimbaits do that, bigger spoons do that, and my homemade spinners do that. Number 8 blade on a short heavy inline spinner lets me really slow roll those in a way a number 3 or 5 Mepps could never do. This stuff works for me. But there are plenty of other ways to get bit too.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
My keyboard got stuck. Hit some key, now having trouble replying. I do my best to bear in mind to make the lure escape follows, and doing so often triggers fish when I remember.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts