Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to go up north for one last trip before school starts:(, and was wondering what catches pike. I have had a few but I dont think I am doing it right. I have caught them on everything from spoons to heddon sonics at hit or miss rates. I figure that you guys might be able to help with lure selection.

thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I would narrow it down this way: what won't a pike hit............., right they hit every lure known to man;)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
A red and white Daredevil spoon is essential equipment for pike fishing. 3-4" would be a good size, IMO. #4 (or larger) Bucktail Mepps would be my second choice, a magnum size rattletrap would be third, 1oz+ bucktail spinnerbait would be fourth.

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,659 Posts
Trollin a rattle trap type lure is a good, gets deep where the big boys sometimes lurk. Jerk baits and jointed lures also, and mepps in a stream is very deadly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
dixie dancer spinner baits.black with double willow blades, or rapela suspending x-slash in natural colors

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lately I've been fishing an overfished area of the Au Sable River. I tried the live bait like most people use and say they have good luck with. I didn't get much luck, so I switched to a 4" silver/blackish blue Storm Thundercrank and had good luck. This last weekend I used about a 1/2 oz. spinner bait with black a skirt and a #4 black/flour orange willow blade and killed em compared to the others in the area. Got almost a 30" right behind the damm. Thing chewed right through a 1/4 nylon stringer.......I was mad to say the least. My son and I want Pike for dinner.

·
Registered
198 Posts
4" red and white Daredevle; yellow/black Jitterbug;larger Mepps spinners, and, my casting favorite-a weedless rubber frog...very dramatic strikes-then, of course, you lose the biggest pike in the world because the weedless hooks prevented good setting!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Weedless Johnson's Silver (Gold) Minnow with a twister tail like rubber worm (purple) for added movement...DEADLY !!!

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
All of the above are first rate answers and I have caught pike on most of them. One not mentioned that I have used successfully in the past on our lakes is a live sucker below a bobber large enough to stay up. I recommend a large single hook through the lips. It keep the sucker active and the more motion the better. Sometimes a trailer hook is helpful if they constantly hit the tail. This is a good presentation only if you know of a hole, dropoff, or feeding area where they are and it is definitely for still fishing not trolling or drifting. Good luck and good fishing!:fish:

·
Registered
909 Posts
http://www.rapala.com/products/lures.cfm?navoption=all

The standard pike arsenal includes;
1. Suckers
2. Crawler harness with big thick juicy crawlers
3. Red/white daredevle plus other big spoons
4. Stick baits like black/silver, blue/silver Rapalas (original floaters, husky jerks,)
5. Large Mepps spinners (marabou and bucktail)
6. Frogs and mice
7. just about anything else as you've already seen...

:coolgleam

1 - 19 of 19 Posts