Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going pike fishing (catch and release only..) tomorrow.. last lake I was on around here a couple days ago, the surface temp was 68.8*
Just wondering how deep to look for a few bites. The lake I'm gonna try is 25' at the deepest, pretty clear, and not very big..
I'm not very good with pike, but I had some luck in the spring casting x-raps in around 5'
I figure the water temp was a about 10* colder but I'm not certain (didn't have a sonar then)

My game plan was to hit a little deeper (10-15') water during the day with spoons, spinners or float/leeches or crawlers... then as it starts to get dark i was gonna hit up those same shallow areas as spring, casting x-raps.
I figure I might have a chance at taking a walleye or two at dusk if I'm lucky (and I'm not haha)

What do you guys think? I'm pretty terrible at fishing still bodies of water.. so any help will be much appreciated..

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Sounds like You have a great plan. Troll/cast lrg. spoons/spinner baits around weedbed edges or contour lines (drop-offs) and You should get bit :fish:. Along with the X-Rap, You might want to try casting the biggest Hushy Jerks that You have. Crank it hard and fast - then stop it for a few seconds, 'Ole Esox can't stand that ! Good luck, C-man.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Don't forget spinnerbaits parallel to contour dropoffs. Also, a 5" zoom superfluke rigged weightless texas style on a 3/0 gamakatsu EWG hook and fished SLOWLY is a great setup for pike (as well as bass, and even the occaisional walleye).

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ended up 3 pike and 3 bass.. (nothing real big.. all were threw back) the fish were shallow and close to shore
got 1 on a daredevil spoon, one on a blue and silver spoon, and the rest on x-raps..
the weather was pretty nice until it got closer to dark the wind started to pick up and it was hard to drift and cast without getting weeded up

water temp was 68.9 degrees when we left and i figure since this was monday that the water temp has gone down a little bit since then. Probably going to go back out there in a couple weeks and try it again..

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Good job. Water temp here dropped 4 degrees from Friday. Caught 3 northerns and 10 0r 11 bass, a couple real nice ones. The pike were 25 to 28". Most of the fish came on a 3/4 oz spinnerbait with a fire tiger skirt.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i was out for pike yesterday, not a fun day to be in a row boat, i still can't feel my arms for rowing so much, i was throwin spinner baits and swim baits over flats and ledges and didn't see any fish, the water still seemed warm tho, all i caught was a few small smallmouth 2 of which had some nice half inch teeth marks in its side

1 - 7 of 7 Posts