Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
This past year I started paying attention to Barometric Pressure trends....noticed a lot of difference for me on rising trends. Also agree with the 9-11am "witching hour". Although one day in the Fall on my lake at 1:15pm Gills started going absolutely bezerk and were literally jumping out of the water....every cast was a fish (which is not a common thing at all on my lake)...still trying to figure out what made them do that on that day....

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
In the summer I've noticed that if my koi are active, jumping, and chasing one another around then fishing for bass or whatever else I'm going after will most likely be good too. But if they are being lazy and lethargic then fishing isn't as good usually as I had hoped for. Obviously in the winter I can't go by this because they basically sleep all winter and barely move at all but the trend has been observed quite a few times. Only problem is that I often leave the house before light to get to my fishing spot so I don't really see them but anytime I go for a quick fish near by it correlates quite often. I've just never really paid attention to barometer and stuff like that with them because I go fishing when I can and just take what I can get at the time as far as weather. It's just one of those things where there is probably a lot of truth to all the theories but no one theory is solely responsible for catching or not catching and it is a combination of many.

Reactions: Crappie1

·
Registered
791 Posts
I’m a Muskie guy and ask any other Muskie guy. It plays a role to some extent (lunar or barometric pressure). But it has more to do in my opinion on how long the bite window is

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I was a kid living near Gull Lake there was a man named John Townes. Old man Townes is what us kids on our Schwinn's called him.
He was the first person that I knew that went fishing for a particular species. Us kids we just went fishing for whatever would happen to bite.
But old man towns would say he's going perch fishing and dang he'd come back later with perch! He said he was going bluegill fishing and he caught bluegills. My young mind was blown away.
So I asked him for some advice because to me that was like black magic.

He said: "When his goldfish were doing flip flops in their bowl... he knew it was time to go fishing."

I thought a lot about that over the years and it would seem to make sense that the barometric pressure, the lunar tables, hell even the tides would affect the big lake just like the water in his fish bowl.
Just always kind of stuck with me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
When I was a kid living near Gull Lake there was a man named John Townes. Old man Townes is what us kids on our Schwinn's called him.
He was the first person that I knew that went fishing for a particular species. Us kids we just went fishing for whatever would happen to bite.
But old man towns would say he's going perch fishing and dang he'd come back later with perch! He said he was going bluegill fishing and he caught bluegills. My young mind was blown away.

He said: "When his goldfish were doing flip flops in their bowl... he knew it was time to go fishing."

I thought a lot about that over the years and it would seem to make sense that the barometric pressure, the lunar tables, hell even the tides would affect the big lake just like the water in his fish bowl.
Cool post! Time to get some goldfish! :D

14 Posts
Just curious on everyone’s experience on the impact barometric has on the number of flags you get. In my experience rising pressure is definitely better but the bite seems to be far more consistent independent of barometric pressure compared to the panfish bite
Falling barometer or steady produces best in my experiences.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts

You let the fish out of the bag... :)
Not a bad way. I bet you miss him. Guys like that are like gold.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that (notice my post a couple above). I would bet a lot of money on this during the summer time because koi more or less hibernate in these cold temps during winter. You aren't even supposed to feed them any longer below like 55 or 60 degrees. But, during summer if I'm fishing local and leave after day break and can see that they are very active way more times than not I'll catch smallies like mad using many different methods. When they seem lethargic I'll still catch some fish no problem but not nonstop like other days. There is certainly something to it.

Reactions: moose49017

·
Registered
706 Posts
2 of the best times to Pike fish is when the barometer IS high and when it AINT...

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
The best time is when the clock is moving and when YOU CAN!
Agree, if I can go, I go. Could care less what the weather is doing unless I'm 10 miles out on the bay with a storm coming or in a tincan when it's lightning, etc. The rest I could care less about for the most part. I simply look at it if I had a banner day while others struggled I must be the man. If I had a crap day while others had success then I sucked, lol. However, I still like learning about things in general and have some of my own observations over the years which are consistently true but not always so it is far from perfect. If anyone could figure the fish out 100% then it wouldn't be called fishing any more. If it's at all possible I've had some good skunks simply because I got to get out and know I tried my best.

Reactions: sfw1960

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,325 Posts
AMEN! :coolgleam

21 - 35 of 35 Posts