Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to south haven in 2 weeks just need some help getting into some perch. Not sure if it would be better to target salmon(or is it steelhead?) this time of year but I'd love to get into some perch. Any advice? I've never pier fished let alone targeted perch specifically

·
Registered
211 Posts
The water needs to cool down significantly for the perch to move in along with the steelhead. Minnows, cut alewife or shrimp are a good bait for perch on a 2 hooked perch rig cast right off the end of the pier. As far as steelhead goes this is the rig for shrimp and bobber fishing.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
It's impossible to say what will be going on on the pier in two weeks, but you can find some great info on rigging by searching on this site for various pier fishing rigs.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Try the north pier on the lake side. All the way towards the end. You're going to have to cast out your line a bit because there are rocks but if there are perch that's where you'll find them. Just go to the baitshop and buy minnows and ask em what hooks to use/rig/weight.

If you got more than 1 rod. I'd build a holder with pvc/tape/metal rod and fish with shrimp under a bober. Maybe run into a lost steelhead. If you've never caught a summer steelhead you'll be blown away if you hook up with one.

Basically for water temps. If its too cold to swim. You should be pier fishing. So if you see a ton of people swimming in the water. The temps are wrong for fishing. But honestly. I've seen people limit on steelhead in 72 degree water. So, I would go and fish no matter the temps. The water cools off if there is an east wind for 2 days. So hopefully before you show up that will happen.

If you want to leave town with perch no matter what and you got the $. There is a charter boat called "perch on this". You could also rent a kayak for the day and paddle out. Just wear a life jacket and go with a friend.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts