Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I just got into pier fishing last year and had a blast! I was just wondering what the hot lures were this year. I went out and bought jointed rapala's(J-11's) and jointed bombers. I also bought 2/5oz. little cleos in both regular and glow. I am just wondering if the j-11's and the 2/5oz. cleo's are big enough as I see many posting and using j-13's and 3/4oz. cleos. I can't return the lures as I already opened them all and got them organized in my box. Do you think they will be ok? Also, what are these 5 eyes glow cleos I keep seeing? I've seen nothing like this at Gander Mountain....Good luck to all and thanks for any info....

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Welcome to the site ronf ! Great to have you aboard.

I haven't been out yet this year but I'm tentatively planning on trying to get up to Port Sanilac maybe Sunday a.m. I've always used 3/4 oz. Cleos. The 2/5 might be a little small but should work. I just picked up som J-13's I'm going to try. I usually like the glow Cleos but also like to use the Blue/Silver and Green Silver a lot.

Good luck out there !

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I am just wondering if the j-11's and the 2/5oz. cleo's are big enough
2/5 oz cleos are big enough, We use them for fall kings as much or more often then we do 3/4 ounce cleos.

the J-11s also work for kings, one reason you don't see them used as much is because 1: they are lighter and 2: when fishing off piers you tend to be high off the water. the J-11s run up high and will often be riding on top of the water soon after you start your retrive. J-11s work great when fishing off shore or a lower pier, but J-13 work much better off most of the larger piers/breakwalls.

what are these 5 eyes glow cleos I keep seeing
They are just plain old glow cleos, they are white with 5 orange dots, which is were the term 5 eyes came from. most places have them, i'm surprised gander doesn't have any.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JeremyL, Jpollman,

Thank you guys for the great info. I think I have one Firetiger J-13, think I'll add a few more to the box. Can you ever have enough lures??:D :D . JeremyL, you wouldn't be A.K.A Steelhead would you? A gentleman who went by the name of Steelhead use to post on the Great Lakes forum last year and gave me some great advice on pier fishing...just wondering is all. Thanks again for the advice. Not sure where ya'll are fishing but I'll be up at Port Austin/Harbor Beach probably everyweekend to early Oct. If you see someone pulling a red wagon with a coleman lantern dangling 4ft above that would be me.........tight lines, good luck....thanks

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
yes, that be me. I got sick of the crap over at the other site and will never post there again.

Can you ever have enough lures
Nope, never can, no matter what anyone else tells you.;) :D

I will see you up at port austin sometime i'm sure.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, things get a little stupid on the great lakes site. Too many idiots. I try to pick and choose which people I believe over there. After following the site for awhile you can sort of pick out the good ones from the bad ones......

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Can you ever have enough lures??
No comment. :)

You'll probably see me out at PA sometime this fall and will then realize why I posted the no comment comment. ;) :D Ask JeremyL if you can't wait, but one of the first things he said to me yesterday was "WHAT?!?!? Only three tackle boxes this time? What happened?"

I got sick of the crap over at the other site and will never post there again.
So I take it you're glad you finally took my advice and checked out this site? ;)

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Got your PM Jeremy.

On second thought, maybe PA would be better than Sanilac. You say you guys are fishing the breakwall. Maybe I won't bother to drag the boat along on this trip. Or should I ? :) What do you think Jeremy ? Doesn't really matter to me either way but would be quicker and easier without it. Maybe I'll see you guys up there this Sunday morning. I'd probably leave this area about 4:00 a.m. and be in PA about 5:30.

CYA then probably

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
You could drag your boat along or you could fish the wall, your call. There are fish within reach from the breakwall, but with a boat you could fish a little past the wall incase there are alot of people on it sunday AM.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
John, if your going to PA you better leave a little earlier. At least a 2 hr trip if your flying low. Normal drive time I would think is about 2 1/2 hrs. It's 2 hrs to HB and PA is another 30 miles or so.

Joe

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coming from Southgate its a 3 hour drive for me to the campground at Harbor Beach..........

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Joeker,

It's been a long time since I've driven up to PA. In fact, I've never fished there but the wife and I drove up there and stayed a couple of nights about 10 years ago. I was just figuring it would take about 90 minutes or so to get there. It takes me about 90 minutes give or take to Port Sanilac. I just figured I'd head straight up 53 and that will take me right in to PA. I could see about 2.5 hours if I went by way of 25. But then I'd be heading WAY further east than I have to. I might leave a bit earlier and check the drive time to see what it actually is though.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
John, once you hit Bad Axe its the same distance to PA as HB. Still looking at 2 - 2 1/2hrs up 53

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I used mapquest to see what they said was the driving times, this is what i got.

Rochester Hills to PA is 2 hours, 54 minutes and is 107.28 miles away

Rochester Hills to HB is 2 hours, 37 minutes and is 114.70 miles away.

I was thinking, hmmmmmm, that doesn't sound right, so i typed in bad axe to PA, which i know takes usually 15 mins give or take a min or two. It came up 31 mins!:eek: It never takes us that long.

SO, the findings of all this is that mapquest sucks;) and i think it will take around 2 hours, give take 15 min, to get from Rochester Hills to PA. Going in the pre dawn hours will mean less traffice and a quicker trip.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
From the corner of Baldwin and Seymour lake rd (4 miles east of Oxford) up to 69 to 53 to 46 to 19 and 3 miles east to the road that goes to Grindstone City Takes 2 hours and 4 minutes pulling the boat at 5 mph over the speed limits. Without the boat it takes 1 hour and 56 minutes to Grindstone. A Port Austin destination should be about five minutes faster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts