Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some day we'll be able to auto post pics without all this work. I did this wrong & only got thumbnails. I'll try again or just post what appears.

FLORIDA OSCEOLA - Mar. 3; 19#, 9 1/4" Beard, 1 1/4" Spurs

OKLAHOMA RIO GRANDES - Apr. 6; 19#, 9" Beard, 7/8" Spurs. 18#, 9" Beard, 1" Spurs.

WYOMING MERRIAMS - Apr. 14; 20#, 7 1/4" Beard, 3/4" Spurs.

BLACK HILLS, SOUTH DAKOTA MERRIAMS - Apr. 16; 18#, 8 1/2" Beard, 5/8" Spurs.

PENNSYLVANIA EASTERN - Double Bearded - May 2; 20 1/2#, 8 1/2" AND 7" Beards, 1 1/4" Spurs.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Nice work......must be nice to shoot that many turk's in one year.....Congrats.....Mack

·
Premium Member
8,599 Posts
Another awesome year for you steve!! I love to see your pics!

Good Job and a big Congrats!!!
Sure wish i could do that someday!!

-Bob:)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
A true accomplishment.

Is it your first slam?

Two more birds and you almost had your double slam, congrats,

·
Premium Member
8,599 Posts
Lil' Tanker said:
A true accomplishment.

Is it your first slam?

Two more birds and you almost had your double slam, congrats,

Steve does this every year.... He's a lucky man!!:D:D

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Neat pics. You've been a busy guy! Congrats.

Is that an original Treebark jacket in a couple of your pics?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all of your congrats. I drove my camper van to all of these states, about 9,000 miles. I spent around $1,700 on gas & $500 on licenses. I also could have shot a jake in Michigan, but couldn't get a long beard. I actually didn't know I could have tried for 2 in FLA. I was just dumb lucky there. I could tell a lot of stories about these trips including the tour of the rattlesnake roundup HQ in OK..

On doing some research with NWTF a slam does not have to be done in the same year. My lifetime numbers: 1 Osceola, 5 Merriams, 5 Rios, 22 Easterns.

I just returned from near Gagetown in the thumb trying to get my girlfriend a bird. We saw the same 2 long beards 4 days in a row, but couldn't get them to come in, all henned up. We did get them in to 48 yds, 67 yds & 95 yds. Her 20 ga wouldn't do the 48 yd shot; wish she would use my 12 ga. We only have access to farm fields.

Airoh, you have keen eyesight. I own an original Columbia quad in Trebark camo. It still works fine.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Nice going Steve!

I appears that you have more difficulty posting pics than getting your slam!;):lol:

They turned out fine.

What sub-species have proved to be the most difficult and why???

·
Registered
26,565 Posts
and I thought I had the turkey hunting bug ;) Someday maybe.

Congrats to you :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The toughest part of any turkey hunt is getting access to hunting land with lots of toms and few hunters. The OK Rios & WY Merriams have been the easiest because I'm hunting unpressured birds. I may be the only hunter the WY birds have ever seen. I do pay access fees in these 2 states: $350 in OK & $300 in WY. I've always taken my birds there on the first day. They usually come in to my calls very well, wearing signs, "Shoot Me". I've hunted the OK public land with no success. Way too many hunters with unlimited permits.

My Florida experience is this year only. I was very lucky as I got mine as I was walking back in for the hot afternoon hunt of the opening day. He popped up from behind a tree at 35 yds. We played 'don't move' for a few minutes. I was able to slowly unsling my gun & wait for him to make his move. So, I really can't evaluate how hard they are. I was on private land, worried about all of the hogs, snakes & mosquitos. I don't think I'll try FLA again for a while.

Easterns in Michigan seem to be the hardest for me. That may be due to the land I now hunt. For almost 30 years I hunted in Alcona county & did great, but that land was sold & built on. Now I'm in Hillsdale county. More neighbors hunt there. Hunting in the thumb for my lady friend is tough because we only have access to farmland without much cover.

Since I started taking nice toms in PA the landowner & his relatives started hunting before me & that is now harder than it was. Birds get 'educated' to calls & decoys & don't come in like they would otherwise.

So, I'm not sure it's which subspecies is hardest to take, it's getting access to lots of unhunted birds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts