Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys I was just wondering if anyones got any good pics of their sets for trapping muskrats under the ice using conibears? I've seen a few online but was looking for a few more so I make sure I at least do it 90% right. I am new to all of this so any advice is appreciated. I am gonna be on mostly lakes but possibly a few streams. I was on trapperman.com and traps4kids but I am still a little confused on setting the conibear under the ice. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
chuckinduck,

Here is the best conibear under ice muskrat set that I know.

This conibear set was taken from a booklet prepared by an old time Michigan trapper by the name of Wes Grant.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David,
I made some sets using this method, maybe just maybe a dumb rat will slip up tonight or tomorrow, or the next day............

·
Registered
33 Posts
David along with being new to trapping I'm challenged some by the internet. I would like to get a copy of Wes Grants pamphlet if possible?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry to be a pest but I would very much like to find a way to get a copy of Wes Grants booklet on using conibears under the ice, any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,062 Posts
I met Wes number of times. If I had known he had that booklet out I sure would have had one. I have a number of signed books by Charlie Dobbins. I met him at a SMTA convention long before it was know what a genious he was as far as trapping goes. I was watching a video of his at his son Paul's booth at a later convention, after he passed. It almost brought tears to my eyes.

I learned a way to set deep water muskrat runs somewhere. Take a 1 to 1 1/2 inch sapling and split it up a foot or so. Slide a 110 spring eye on the split, then wire the split closed at the bottom. Sharpen the end. It allows you to set a 110 in the run in deep water. I used this to be able to be legal, being 6 foot away from the house as that the law was at the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts