Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
My fear with it is how fast this stuff spreads......how much ground will it spread to in 10 years.....? Might be a whole lot of work to kill it back to the area you want it in.

Anyone have any experience with any large plantings of this stuff?
Have no fear about it spreading. They will only spread out one foot per year radially from the original planting. If you ever tire of them you can sell off tubers in the Spring, as this plant will become more popular in the future. If you want to kill them off, just spray with roundup in June.

" The miscanthus genotype with the greatest biomass potential is a sterile,hybrid (Miscanthus x giganteus) likely of M. sacchariflorus (tetraploid) and M. sinensis sinensis (diploid) parentage.
The cross between the tetraploid and diploid produces a triploid which is unable to produce viable seed.
Both M. sacchariflorus and M. sinensis have escaped cultivation and can be invasive in the landscape.
Because Miscanthus x giganteus hybrids are unlikely to produce seed they are less likely to be invasive than other varieties."

I have bought from Lacy Creek Growers in the one gallon division. These are big tubers obtained in the spring and planted 4 to 6 inches deep. The sold out of them in the spring but will likely have some to order early next spring. I would recommend the one gallon divisions over the 1/2 gallon divisions in quantity they are $5 and $2.50, respectively, and much cheaper the more you get. Each of the gallon tubers sent up three shoots early in the summer, but then doubled or tripled the number of shoots during the summer.

http://lacycreekgrowers.com/misc_gig.php

I have also bought from Santa Rosa Gardens in Florida when they were on sale in four inch grower pots. These I only bought when they went on sale a couple times for as little as $3.00 apiece. These were considerably smaller in size but have grown quite nicely in the garden and also doubled and tripled their stems and tubers in the first year.

Plan on watering frequently during the first year and drastically keeping the grass and weed competition down. Highly recommended is preparing a place this fall to plant them next spring.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.