Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Always a season
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you had to pick a piece of property to buy and turn into your hunting paradise which of these two would you want? Give me your thoughts too. Maybe it wishful thinking/planing on my part but who knows if the opportunity comes up. Thanks for any advise, tips and pointers. Thanks!

What both have:
•Heavy clay loam soil, farmers usually plant these fields late because they are too wet in the spring.
•Building a pond would not be a problem on these sites.
•Both MIGHT qualify for Wetland rehabilitation.
•Both would qualify for CRP
•Both are in heavy AG area, mostly Beans and corn. No hay fields around.
•Plenty of bare land to do what you want.
•Plenty of deer, turkey and other small game around.

Property 1 has…
•Across the street from my house.
•No wooded areas. Just over grown fence rows.
•EnBridge pipeline cuts through southern edge of property
•I get deer in my yard from time to time. Most of the time they are just moving by at night between the larger wooded areas.
•This would connect 3 -4 different wood lots.

Property 2 has…
•Current hunting location and part of old family farm. 15 minutes from my house.
•8-9 acres of wooded travel corridor between 2 larger wooded areas.
•Orchards to the South and West.
•East, West and South boarders has large irrigation ditches that have water in them most of the year except summer and very dry spells.
•Existing 1/3 acre clover plot inside wooded area and 1 acre food plot in AG field.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Property 1...more in the middle of the section with lots of surrounding cover. Its like a blank slate with lots of possibilities. Not to mention you live close by. No brainer for me! How many acres is #1?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Always a season
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is the hunting pressure around the 2 pieces?
Similar, all surrounding wood lots are hunted and all land is private at both locations

Orchards on Property 2 get block permits too.

Property 2 west side wood lot is broken into 5 different property owners and all are hunted.

·
Always a season
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure you consider the neighbor situation!
Neighbors will want to hunt on it too. :) I have good relationships with the hunter neighbors on my street.

I do not know much about the property owners that boarder the property.

You do bring up a very good point.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Property 1.
Easier to get more work done because of proximity to house and easier for simple hunts and keeping an eye on it. Both have a pretty clean slate to start with but i like what 1 has for stucture to start with.
After getting some property with the new house, i see how simple it is to run out and get an hour of work done during the week while, to get work done at the hunting propwrty, i often burn an hour just packing, driving 15 min, unpacking then repacking, driving home 15 min and unloading the truck when i get work done working.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If everything is equal beside the drive. What if you choose the one that the surrounding properties habitat is less desirable for deer to bed on and move during daylight hours. So when you build your hunting paradise the deer are bedding and moving around on your property. I have know clue if this is a great way of choosing a piece of property but maybe someone with better knowledge could answer this question.

I choose 1 after adding shrubs, conifers and native grasses to the fence rows they are going to be deadly travel corridors.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Property 1 for the same reasons that have been mentioned. There is nothing better than having property right where you live as far as doing habitat work.

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts
Property 1

Bio hit it when he said you can't ignore the value of proximity to home.

Just last night for instance, I mowed the last couple foodplots that needed it. What makes it stand out is that the wind started blowing, the clouds rolled in and I had about 10 minutes to get things done-and did it. I had been waiting on these plots as they are important ones but didn't want to mow and then have them burn out with our recent hot weather. Also wanted to mow just ahead of rain. Mission accomplished cause they are in my front yard.

Also like the hedges already established. With some attention they can become excellent screens which will nicely break up the parcel. Yep, no brainer.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I like the points that its sooo close and you will be able to watch it. If its lacking a woodlot and you want to put one in, you can. and you can choose where you want it. I think options abound. Prop 2 sounds good too with existing plots for whitetail and a nice looking wooded corridor, but does that outweigh the fact you dont have to get in your car to get to prop1?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Pat
Just buy both!!!
I too would have to go with prop 1 as others have stated. With being by your house you can do the things you need to with out the hassle of getting everything ready to go do a 5 min job.
It will take time to plant cover and get it mature. If you do get prop 1 I would start with the fence rows and move outward providing travel lanes of security for the deer and then food plots along them with security around them. I am not a fan of Speckled Alder because I have so much of it but this being wet may be a good candidate for it. A couple of good water holes and you will have a nice piece of deer paradise.
Good luck on either decision and keep us posted.

·
Always a season
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everyone for you feedback. It is nice to get some unbiased opinions and without the sentimental feelings of the current hunting grounds.

Would anyone change there minds if the proposal dropped the North 20 acre field and go for 49 acres as a lower cost solution? I would still have access/road frontage. The North west wood lot would be slightly disconnected but not by much, there would still be a tree line to it. The property would/could still be productive right?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I would pick property 1. I would not break of the NW 20 unless it was a deal breaker financially. Thats a good size woodlot up there that this property doesnt have. Instead I would be looking at making that NW corner (not all 20 acres obviously) into a huge switchgrass bedding area surrounded by norways with a funnel to the Southern part. I would be frost seeding all of my switch early next year if it was crops this year. Or If crops I would maybe consider shares with a farmer to subsidize the taxes. Good Luck in your decision.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If it was me and I was in your position I would go ahead and purchase the additional 20 acres. One nice thing about your property is it flows north to south. You could use the additional 20 acres and create a destination plot on the northern end of that 20. With shrub planting and smaller food plots towards moving towards the south that ultimately ends up in thick bedding you would have a nice flow of deer movement. As the deer move N to S and S to N you can potentially create hunting opportunities on the edges of the property.

Take a look at Bishs posts. May be just what you need to get started! They have helped me tremendously as I am a complete newbie!! :gaga:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts