Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything being done to stop the spread of the phragmites? Reason I ask is that we dropped on bird in the middle of a phramites batch and we were not able to find it. It was like crawling thru a bamboo jungle. Doubt a dog could work its way thru it. Also we took a trip out to Cape Cod in middle of September and all along the turnpike and on Cape Cod itself, the phragmites were taking over the marshes and ditches along the highways. Appears to me we've got a major problem affecting our wetlands.

·
Registered
606 Posts
They (MDNR, USDA, etc.) are working to combat the growth and spread of Phragmites.

It is an expensive and difficult fight, that usually requires two rounds of treatment to an area to see widespread affect. In our area they are treating patches as they are discovered or are tallied with the resources they have available. There are limited resources for such a widespread problem. I noticed a thin stand starting to form near one of my potholes that is concerning, as the area has the available upland portions to really allow the plant to flourish in time.

Unfortunately the areas of SE Michigan that are covered with the plant will be a much more difficult and expensive removal if it is even able to be controlled at this point.

I'm afraid that invasive species are going to be the downfall of our natural resources in this State and most of the country. They are so many widespread methods of spreading the plants and animals that containment is near impossible and treatment will become more and more expensive over time.

We really are our own enemies when it comes to invasive's.

Question: How many of you wash your boat off completely before transferring from one waterway to another?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I too wish something could be done. Years ago I had a favorite marsh area that was just a little harder than normal to get to with a boat, so I usually had the place to myself. It was my own kind of paradise; duck and no people. Last time I was out there, I bashed my boat through the only cut I could find, which was so narrow the boat was bending the phrags out of the way as it passed. I went until the boat would move no more. The entire marsh has been swallowd up by a huge stand of phrags, probably a mile square, or something like that. I couldn't find so much as a puddle left open. It saddens me just to think of it.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
They (MDNR, USDA, etc.) are working to combat the growth and spread of Phragmites.

It is an expensive and difficult fight, that usually requires two rounds of treatment to an area to see widespread affect. In our area they are treating patches as they are discovered or are tallied with the resources they have available. There are limited resources for such a widespread problem. I noticed a thin stand starting to form near one of my potholes that is concerning, as the area has the available upland portions to really allow the plant to flourish in time.

Unfortunately the areas of SE Michigan that are covered with the plant will be a much more difficult and expensive removal if it is even able to be controlled at this point.

I'm afraid that invasive species are going to be the downfall of our natural resources in this State and most of the country. They are so many widespread methods of spreading the plants and animals that containment is near impossible and treatment will become more and more expensive over time.

We really are our own enemies when it comes to invasive's.

Question: How many of you wash your boat off completely before transferring from one waterway to another?
yes, the DNR does have a program, but resources are very limited. Check the DNR's website...I believe there is some information there on their program (was posted here a year or two ago)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Not a solution, but I keep a pair of safety glasses with me on the chance that a bird drops in the phrag. That crap is merciless for punctures!-eyes and dog feet! Does make for some good hunting cover though.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best to wear gloves also when trying to get thru them. Noticed that I had several slivers in my hands after searching for the bird. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
this isn't meant as a slam on you Blue, but I've learned the hard way over the years to plan my shots better...i.e. not taking that shot over the really heavy crap. Even when I'm hunting with a dog. I've lost way too many birds by taking that easy shot over the heavy cover. In my early years, I was more concerned with killing birds...being able to take the bird home was a distant second thought. So now I really spend time planning ahead, thinking about where I will or won't shoot. I've passed up many "gimmee" shots in the last decade just because I want to be able to harvest the bird. Just my personal choice.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No offense taken. The bird was hit twice over open water but not hard enough to bring it down and it sailed into the phragmites. Totally agree with you about picking your shots so as to drop them in a retrievable area.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I know of a company in the thumb that is licensed and they do a lot of this work along the shorelines of the thumb. PM if interested, i know its expensive treatment but works!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
this isn't meant as a slam on you Blue, but I've learned the hard way over the years to plan my shots better...i.e. not taking that shot over the really heavy crap. Even when I'm hunting with a dog. I've lost way too many birds by taking that easy shot over the heavy cover. In my early years, I was more concerned with killing birds...being able to take the bird home was a distant second thought. So now I really spend time planning ahead, thinking about where I will or won't shoot. I've passed up many "gimmee" shots in the last decade just because I want to be able to harvest the bird. Just my personal choice.
Indeed. I try not to shoot my way into a PITA problem that could have been avoided with proper shot selection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts