Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Over the years I have found 6-10 maybe most where Nosler Partitions out of 243./Win Shoulder shots at close range seemed to get far less penetration but dropped deer like a bad habit..
Based on how I drop bad habits I must assume they survived and are out there kicking not long after new years :):):):)

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Sorry but the best I can tell you is it's somewhere in the hillside near the upper right corner.

But it was behind the shoulder and I was able to get thirty yards. Not much of a deer hunter but those that i have lucked out on were with archery gear and all pass through. One with a ml and a power belts was just shards of lead on the opposite hide. Well see if I get pretty pictures next year.

Edit: this year!

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Cutting Edge Bullets 240 gr Handgun Raptor with tip added....185 lb field dressed 8 point 180 yrds 20' up in a shooting tower facing 30' up a hill slight quartering shot in middle of chest dropped at the shot both lungs destroyed, 1/3 liver destroyed blades found in liver base found in rear ham under hide...
Its the first base I've ever recovered...found blades on off side just under hide....

I use a pointer metal detector to help fine blades....

BEFORE.....

AFTER....looked very hard couldn't find the tip....

·
Registered
19,160 Posts
As many have mentioned, you'll have a hard time getting pictures of bullets that shot through game. Some people dont like pass through. Most of them aren't using barnes.
No Barnes. No need unless lead is not legal.. Deer are thin skinned game.
Given most but end to end shots , a variety of bullets will suffice.
Few fail to pop both lungs no problem.
Core or mass retention helps with shoulder shots.

One Remington 12 gauge one oz. slugger recovered. About a 14 yard shot.
Between half and three-quarters weight retention. Thorough shoulders to offside hide. Blood spray where deer dropped and beyond/behind from follow up shot through lungs.

One Corelokt 25-06 100grn. bullet.About 200 yards.
Through both shoulders to offside hide , mushroomed mostly empty cup recovered.
Pics on tablet elsewhere. Just a well mushroomed cup is all. Nothing unique about it.
Some blood where deer dropped dead when hit.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Cutting Edge Bullets 240 gr Handgun Raptor with tip added....185 lb field dressed 8 point 180 yrds 20' up in a shooting tower facing 30' up a hill slight quartering shot in middle of chest dropped at the shot both lungs destroyed, 1/3 liver destroyed blades found in liver base found in rear ham under hide...
Its the first base I've ever recovered...found blades on off side just under hide....

I use a pointer metal detector to help fine blades....

BEFORE.....

AFTER....looked very hard couldn't find the tip....

Not sure what to think about that. Good or bad? Would you rather that the pedals did not break off? Looks sort of brittle like it did not mushroom at all. But maybe its designed to sort of frag grenade with the pedals.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
No Barnes. No need unless lead is not legal.. Deer are thin skinned game.
The monometal are the rage these days amongst some who don't want lead in their meat. There are also potential environmental concerns when scavengers pick through the gut pile and ingest lead. Also some people think they can use a lighter faster bullet and get the same penetration. On top of all that, bullet manufacturers are riding the trend convincing people to buy several boxes of expensive bullets to work up in their gun.

But I'm not saying yeah or neah on the barnes. Just stating that most people who believe that they need the bullet to 'stay in the animal's and 'dump all the energy' are probably not using barnes.

·
Registered
19,160 Posts
The monometal are the rage these days amongst some who don't want lead in their meat. There are also potential environmental concerns when scavengers pick through the gut pile and ingest lead. Also some people think they can use a lighter faster bullet and get the same penetration. On top of all that, bullet manufacturers are riding the trend convincing people to buy several boxes of expensive bullets to work up in their gun.

But I'm not saying yeah or neah on the barnes. Just stating that most people who believe that they need the bullet to 'stay in the animal's and 'dump all the energy' are probably not using barnes.
Barnes does make a great bullet. No doubt.

Yeah , they went heavy on the lead concerns out West.
Condors eating nuts/bolts , hardware and everything else.
I've not heard or read of bullets in gut piles , but that don't change the argument against lead there.

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Whether warranted, or not, the day will come when all lead ammunition is banned for hunting. It may come in our life time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Not sure what to think about that. Good or bad? Would you rather that the pedals did not break off? Looks sort of brittle like it did not mushroom at all. But maybe its designed to sort of frag grenade with the pedals.
First there not "pedals" there "Blades"....CEB bullets are designed after penetrating 1-2" the "blades" brake off and move in outward direction as secondary projectiles causing damage....theres no upper end velocity for them....they just work better the faster you shoot them....no other bullet can say that...

For several decades I was a big fan of Nosler Partitions....when they expanded they sent secondary pieces of lead and copper jacket....but not consistently the same

Watch the videos for a better understanding on how they work.....

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
First there not "pedals" there "Blades"....CEB bullets are designed after penetrating 1-2" the "blades" brake off and move in outward direction as secondary projectiles causing damage....theres no upper end velocity for them....they just work better the faster you shoot them....no other bullet can say that...

For several decades I was a big fan of Nosler Partitions....when they expanded they sent secondary pieces of lead and copper jacket....but not consistently the same

Watch the videos for a better understanding on how they work.....

Hehe sorry I have to agree that "Blades" sounds a bit more menacing than pedals. I thought thats what they were called. yea I don't know much about them, might be better in terms of making a larger area of damage, some collateral damage with not so perfect shots.

The rotation of bullets is in the 200-300 thousand range so those blades might have some force when flying off as intended.

Pretty impressive you found it all but the cap. How far off the line of entry did those blades fly? 6" or more?

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,394 Posts
Federal Fusion on Caribou.jpg

Federal Fusion 150 grain shot from my Tikka T3 Lite 7mm Rem Mag on a 2007 caribou hunt in northern Quebec

Shot was around 100 yds and double lunged the bull as it passed through the chest, entered the far upper front leg and came to rest just under the hide on the far side. So it had enough momentum to pass through the hide 3 times, but not 4. He instantly buckled where he stood and keeled over dead. I generally don't hesitate to use or recommend Fusions.

I have a very similar looking fanned out Barnes 250 grain Expander shot from my Omega a few Decembers ago that I'll try to find a pic of. That bullet in an MMP sabot with BH209 has become my Go To. The victim was a delicious younger meat buck that was quartering away with his head down as he browsed. Barnes entered the chest just in front of the diaphragm and was found just under the hide on the top of his neck. I believe its momentum was interrupted when it hit a vertebrae.

Other than those two, the only bullets I've recovered were chunks of fragmented Hornady XTPs fired from my Omega before I switched to Barnes

·
Registered
425 Posts
Dont have pics, but have recovered several 12 and 20 ga. slugs, typically would pass thru but fail to break out the hide on opposite side. Looked like nickels and quarters.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Dont have pics, but have recovered several 12 and 20 ga. slugs, typically would pass thru but fail to break out the hide on opposite side. Looked like nickels and quarters.
What sort of shot angles were these?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
44 mag 225 gr hornady ftx leverlution out of a cva hunter. 10 pt quartered away 145 yds. Entered at the last rib and stuck just under the skin on the opposite front shldr. Good blood for 50yds to a dead deer. View attachment 484869 View attachment 484871 View attachment 484873 View attachment 484875

Sent from my SM-G955U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I love it, hehe, I've done that with a Kabota before. Makes dragging them a heck of a lot easier. Thanks for he pics.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The Hornady 9th ed. reloading manual has a maximum velocity of 2,200 fps for its 250 gr. bullet from the 450 Bushmaster with a 16" barrel.

SAAMI specs for the 450 Bushmaster call out 38,500 MAP, and 2,250 fps for a 250 gr. bullet and 2,150 for a 260 gr. bullet from a 15" barrel.

There are few, if any, cartridges that are directly comparable in terms of MAP, bore diameter, and bullet weight, but there are some that shed light. The 35 Whelen with a 250 gr. bullet, 62,000 MAP, and the same 15" barrel is rated at 2,385 fps. The 444 Marlin with a 240 gr. bullet, 42,000 MAP, and the same 15" barrel is rated at 2,320 fps.

I could go on, but the point is 2,550 with a 240 gr. bullet from a 450 would have to exceed design pressure for the cartridge.

As a side note I was surprised to see the 15" barrel length for all of these cartridges, especially as the data was unchanged from earlier 24" barrels. From my memory SAAMI used to quote 24" barrel lengths for most cartridges. That has changed, but the velocity data has not. Also there are no commonly legal 15" rifle barrels in the US. Why the 15" standard? I haven't a clue.

In the end I highly doubt the 240 gr./24" barrel/2,550 fps came from pressures within SAAMI specs. Additionally, 2,900 fps/200 gr. cited by Bobby072 is insane. It is beyond 8mm Rem Mag velocities with a 200 gr. bullet.
I agree with this. The 450 could have saami spec'd this round for 55k psi, but didn't - certain there's a good reason. The AR15 can and does handle that amount of pressure - look at the spec for the 350 legend.
Bear Creek (nice guys- met them at the show yesterday) is loading the bullets long, so they don't fit in an AR mag. It's only a matter of time before someone single loads this into an AR.
If people want a high pressure 45 Cal, get the 45 raptor. Designed for 62K psi.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I love it, hehe, I've done that with a Kabota before. Makes dragging them a heck of a lot easier. Thanks for he pics.
It is one advantage of private land. I rarely drag them more than 50 yards to a trail or field edge. That particular deer was dragged 0 yards. He died on a trail.

This year was the worst year i have had for dragging because we didnt get anything harvested b4 rifle season. I killed 4 does in the soy beans. I had to carry them all out. I couldn't even drag them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

21 - 40 of 63 Posts