Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many belong to Pheasants Forever? This is not like DU or some other sports organizations, all the money raised in a County Chapter from banquets and other fund raising projects stay in the county. The chapter then supplies seed, such as corn, sorgum,swish grass for good pheasant habitat, they even furnish the seeder for planting. If you like pheasants and have enought property for planting look into your nearest chapter, I belong to the Livingston County Chapter in Howell.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Do they due anything on land that is open to the general public? Not all of us are land owners and most people that have any pheasants won't let hunt. I can't blame them, thats why I'm a grouse hunter and go to Iowa for pheasants.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I am a member. Have been for the last 4 years.

------------------
Neapolis
---------

·
Registered
76 Posts
Third year member and suggest all who hunt them should also join! With their help I plant 30+ acres of nesting cover and food plots. If you care about bringing back birds in your area you really should join...its only 25.00 and well worth it! :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
BOY SIR DO YOU BRING BACK MEMORIES WHEN I WAS HUNTING WITH MY DAD FROM 5-ISH TO TEENS
ON THEM BIRDS.....HEHEHEH SHORTHAIRS AN ALL
THE WORT OF PROGRESS HAS LANDED ALL OUR FAVORITE SPOTS ON THE THUMB AND HOUSES HAVE TAKENOVER THE HABITAT OF THIS BIRD WHERE I KNOW OF EXCEPT IN GAYLORD MICH WHERE DAD LOST HIS LIFE AS THE 4th HUNTING FATALITY OF THE RIFLE SEASON 2000 AT THE HANDS OF AN RELASPED ALKIE .....

WISH I HAD THEM DAYS BACK TO HUNT TO "P" BIRD I CALLED IT AS A CHILD...............

THANKS F0R THE POST AN THE WALK DOWN MEMORY LANE

HAY IF YOU WISH TOO CALL YOUR STATE SENATOR
FOR YOUR AREA THE EDMISTON BILL MAKE DRUNK HUNTING CAUSEING INJURY A 5-YR FELONY
"" "" DEATH A 15-YR FELONY

as apposed to less fine an punishment under the law than A DOE TAKEN WITHOUT A PERMIT...

THANKS S EDMISTON
[email protected]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to see a few belong to P.F. only wish more people would get involved. The Birds are on a come back and need food plots and cover. We will be planting about 40 acres again this spring. Everyone that has property for planting should join P.F. and do their part in returning the ground into food and cover.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am a Vice President of the Ingham County Chapter. For those who are interested, we are having out annual banquet Friday, March 2nd in Lansing. E-mail me if you need further details and I will get them right out. The banquet is our primary (read: only) fundraiser that generates the $$ used to buy the seed for giveaway. Also (and I am serious)any donations for prizes and raffles are graciously accepted! :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Slugshot- Do you have dinner tickets left, they are hard to come by in our area. I have attended one P.F banquet and would very much like to return. Good cause, good food, good prizes!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone should go to a P.F banquet, good night out for the whole family. 2/16/01 the Livingston County Chapter had theirs and and it was a family night out Husbands,Wifes and children. One nice thing more new members now belong to P.F.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Slugshot-

I plan to plant 1-2 acres of clover this fall and have another 4-5 acres of blank open field that could be planted. I just don't have the money to plant the whole thing. I've heard of discounted prices and give aways for seed for PF members. Is this right? What kind of help does PF offer for plantings? I could use all the help I can get...physical, informational, seeds, etc. I have pheasants in my area now, but not enough where I feel comfortable hunting them. I would like to see at least a dozen on a regular basis before I allow anyone to hunt them. My hope is to provide them with cover and shelter as well as food in the winter months. Thanks for your help.

Ben

Oops, forgot to mention I live in Berrien County. Is there a chapter near me?

[This message has been edited by SalmonSlayer (edited 02-21-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a P.F. Chapter in Berrien County #560, but I don't know what city or town it is in. Check around somebody should know in that area. If you join P.F. they will furnish all the info you need and supply the seed for planting. So please join.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Salmon, Hunter is exactly right. The Berrien County Chapter should certainly be able to help. If they do not have a phone number listed in the book, call the county Soil Conservation District office (now usually called Natural Resources Conservation Service). I can almost guarantee that they will know whom to contact. The chapter should have a habitat guy that will come out and consult free of charge. Some chapters only give seed to members, or at least members get first crack at it. If there is any left over it is then given to others. This usually depends on how much money was raised at the local banquet. I believe there is a grain drill available through the chapter or the Conservation office that would make the 7 acres a lot easier to plant as well. I have the list at home of counties that have drills available. If you are interested in using the drill, I will try to find the list and let you know.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hey Rooster,

Who do ya have to contact to get involved? I also live in hastings and would like some info. My folks have a farm and my dads an avid hunter, who likes to hunt pheasant as well. Isnt there some kind of reserve over on sager/cedar creek rd? Thanx PIG

·
Registered
227 Posts
Salmon-
Ok, figures that I would find this right after I posted the previous reply to you. Here is the guy to contact.
Mike Parker -
Email Address: [email protected]
His address is on the PF website, so I am sure it is ok to post here. Mike knows everything about everyone relating to Michigan PF chapters. His is the only paid PF position in the state, so he should appreciate you involvment.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pigpen..

Barry County Chapter President is Jim Decker.
You can get ahold of him at Freeport Elevator in Freeport. They just had their banquet at the begining of Feb. and it was a good time.
What part of Hastings are you from. I live in Irving Twp.

I believe that preserve off of Sager Rd is part of the Farmland Pheasant Club.

I just went on a preserve hunt in Nashville. Owner just opened the doors in August of 2000. I met him at the banquet, he told me he would set me up on a scratch hunt, which consisted of $15 per gun and $10 per bird. What a deal!! Apparently he had about a thousand birds escape one of his pens.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Rooster.

I grew up in rutland township, on W Quimby rd. My folks heva 60 acres that I hunt for everything that I can. When I was Growing up there was an older gentlemen who lived on the corner of cook and Quimby who released about 50 pairs of birds a year. For a while the hunting was great, but has since declined. I know my dad would be interested in bringing back some birds. I have 5 acres myself off of m43 by Podunk LK. My last name is Madden, you probably know me or my dad or brothers. Thanx for the info. PIG

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pigpen
I am a three year old transplant to the area, so the name doesn't ring a bell. The side road names sound familiar. Are you north or south of the town. I am near Woodschool & Ryan roads. I have 10 acres of hardwoods and permisson to work my GSP on a 80 acre field adjacent to mine for birds. I also am striving to get the bird population backup by doing whatever it takes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts