Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pheasants for Michigan releasing birds in hopes of building population

GRASS LAKE -- A new conservation group wants to restore pheasant populations in Michigan by going back to the basics -- releasing birds.
Pheasants for Michigan, founded by some Jackson County conservationists last March, released about 400 birds in south-central Michigan last year and hopes to more than double that in 2004.

http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/statewide/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/107589311717170.xml

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Originally posted by Grouse Hunter
The only solution to improving pheasant populations is improving habitat.
I totally agree.

The point of their article was.

"But the focus is to release birds, which is how all of America's pheasant populations were originally built. "

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I applaud there efforts, but IMO there only supplying the foxes, yotes and hawks with easy food. Lets take them out first ! And maybe the pheasants will have a chance. My sons friend released 8 full grown roosters in mid summer and never seen a one after that !

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mike L.

The only problem with that logic is that your drawing more predators into the habitat to kill the excess (released) birds. Some local/natives are going to get killed also due to the increased amount of predators (hawks mostly).

Bryan

·
Registered
348 Posts
Habitat is the only way to a sustained flock. I was raised in Iowa and return to hunt there every year. With the removal of fence rows, tiling of feilds to remove sloughs and weedless crop rows I've seen a steady decline in what used to be premier hunting. Same has happened here in Michigan. No habitat No birds.
Oaks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts