Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any sate land great for Pheasant? Any help is appreciated.
Also looking for a good ranch as well to hunt in

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Anyone know of any sate land great for Pheasant? Any help is appreciated.
Also looking for a good ranch as well to hunt in

I am sure you will get this answer along with the winning lotto numbers. My fingers are getting tired of typing this but, I will do yoemans work once again.

First please fill out your profile.
Introduce yourself.
Tell everyone what kind of dogs you have.
Where do you live?

And last but not least. In case you haven't checked pheasants are kind of an endagered species in Michigan and people aren't just going to give out their spots to someone they don't know.

Sorry to be so harsh but, being a salesman, I understand that one must get to know people and find some info out before asking to close the deal.

Good luck, Get a map like the rest of us and start exploring. I can guarantee that is how most of us found our spots. It's really half the fun and as soon as you find a few spots of your own you will understand why everyone is so protective of "their spots".

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
There is state land all around me that is great for pheasant. I have no idea how close you are to me though.

·
Registered
637 Posts
There is this spot about 1000 miles west of here that I hear there are tons of pheasants. Just park by the fencepost down the road from the white house next to the red barn. :D

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
You can tell by now good spots are hard to come by, so know one will give you pin point coordinates.

If you live in the Southwest part of the state I would highly recommend Rolling Hills in Marcellus but with the price of gas find one near your home, here's a link to game bird preserves for you.

http://www.michiganhuntingpreserves.com/

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
That is one spot I will not give up although there are about 20 other guys that hunt this tiny area on opening day.
Now is the time to get out and ask landowners for access. I use to be in on a few large leases but I can't spend the dough anymore so I just asked a couple of landowners and I already have 2 good spots and really that is all the rooster hunting I care to do for a season in this state.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
There is this road heading west out of mid-michigan once you hit the third stop sign east of the county line, take a left (even if there is no road) continue on for another 20 or so miles. Upon there look up and if the third star to your northern edge of sky is red then you are in right spot, just camp out there until the birds find you. You should limit out in a year or two.

Another tip is to hunt near Tecumseh (sp) as he is in the best area i know of for wild birds.

·
Registered
247 Posts
There are a lot of pheasants in Michigan. Yes, there are a lot of pheasants in Michigan. I have been hunting them for the last 10-15 years and I can count on one hand the times that we DIDN'T limit out. Now you want to know of some good public land for pheasants. Lean real close to your computer's speaker and I'll tell you. Did you hear that? Lean over again and I'll tell you again. Did you get it? Exactly, you didn't hear a damn thing.:lol:

Put on some respectable clothes, go out on a Saturday, and ask for permission to hunt some private lands. Just remember that a lot of these property owners are deer hunters also, so you may not get permission to hunt in Oct/November. Focus on the December hunts to get your foot in the door. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
there are pheasants in some areas where there is habitat. i live in the middle of farmland and havent even heard a rooster cackle in several years. michigan has only 233,000 acres of CRP(habitat). Iowa has more farmland of course, but it has 1.8 million acres of CRP.

i grew up hunting pheasants in the 50's and 60's. then we had a Lot of Pheasants. i believe we were in the top 5 pheasant hunting states. in a lot of areas you could flush 100 birds in a day, easily.

the DNR doesnt really talk about numbers anymore, but the last i knew it was about 10% of the heyday. and it will shrink as more land is taken out of CRP due to the high grain and corn prices.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I fully agree that there are plenty of birds on small, isolated parcels of private land and painfully few on public land. You have to have a great personality and be willing to knock on (a lot of) doors if you want to kill pheasants in Michigan. If suppose if you're a pheasant fanatic, it's probably worth the effort and $$.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I just put up around ten hens, a group of 5 then 4 and then a single, at 7.33pm tonight on a piece of land not to far from my house. Not sure if its state land or not but its not posted and no one threw me off so I guess it was OK. Just wish they were roosters.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry if this sounds rude and unkind....but questions like this erk me to no end everytime I see them....be it hunting, fishing, etc... They call it hunting and fishing ...not shooting and catching...because it takes a lot of energy to find spots in our great State to bring game home...
I only hunt public lands and fish lakes with public accesses...so it will be a real cold day that I let any of the areas I hunt be posted on the internet...I will take you fishing with me ....but I only hunt alone or with a very select few ( 4 to be exact ) ....think of me what you want and call me the worst possible names possible...but I have hunted public land for 40+ yrs and I know first hand what " loose lips " can do to an area that may hold a bounty of squirrels or rabbits, let alone pheasants.
So get a plat book and do your home work...otherwise use one of the fore mentioned preserves....
Again sorry to be an *****, but I just have to vent after reading so many of these questions time after time....

Moss

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, hey, welcome to the board! I'm sure you will be back time and time again with this warm welcome!!!!!

#1 Just because a guy asks a question, you are not compelled to answer. You don't want to give him your "honey hole", then don't!

#2 I don't see where he asked for GPS coordinates in his question. Shiawasee River Sate Game Area has 9700 acres. If you said that (I've never hunted it, so I don't know) you aren't exactly giving out blueprints for the atom bomb.

#3 If this board is just going to be a chat room for the select few who ask the right questions and make the right answers, why would a company sponsor the board?

In answer to your question Sir, Call the Michigan DNR and ask them what state game areas have been stocked recently and go check them out.
Otherwise, you can buy the "Southern Michigan Atlas and Field Guide" and on page 17 there is a list of state game areas and a column marked "pheasant" with 35 areas checked.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts