Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know if the state of Michigan produces pheasant density maps? If so, where can one find these?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
That map would prob be top secret and held under cover of a machine gun by the talk i hear from most hunters.

I know of a few management areas, but nothing with density.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it is called "hunting" for a reason I guess. Just thought I would check since some states release info like that collected by their biologists. I tried looking for a harvest report for last season and couldn't even find that.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
There are no pheasants where I go so don't bother going there.:rolleyes::lol:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Well in MI you don't have to report your bird kills like you do deer.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
There use to be a hunter survey form that was used be hunter cooperators that would reported flush rates during the hunting season. Then the DNR would compile the data and you could get that info. But I think that was dropped due to budget constraints. Regardless the hunting for wild pheasants in MI is like looking for a needle in a hay stake. If you don't have access to good quality cover on private grounds you are just going for a walk with your dog in this state!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
What exactly do you need to know about where the pheasants are at? Are you looking for someplace local? Public? Or are you willing to ask a few farmers for a chance to hunt on their land?
I've hunted pheasants for the last 10-15 years in Michigan, and for the past 5 or more, I can't tell you a time when we didn't limit out. I'm not bragging or anything, we just have some prime PRIVATE areas that we hunt. With that being said, I would also say that we have had about a 25-50% success ratio on getting permission from landowners to hunt their fields, filter strips or fence rows. If you're willing to ask, you can get access to good pheasant land.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the sad thing, I know a couple of folks with farms here that have LOTS of pheasant on them. Unfortunately, they also don't want anyone hunting them.

Really what I guess I need is access to a good hunting coop for a reasonable price. :rolleyes: Oh well...

·
Registered
247 Posts
First, do these individuals that own these farms, are they hunters? If so, it looks like you have a birddog, so I would ask them if they would be interested in doing any pheasant hunting. If "yes", ask them that whenever they would like to go, that you would run your dog for them and they carry the guns. If "no", then if they have pheasant, so do other neighboring farms, with similar cover. Keep searching and use the above offer. Worry about carrying the gun later.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
GNS is completely correct: pheasant hunting success has everything to do with access to quality private land.

Michigan public land is dismal for pheasants and you'll be lucky to see a hen. That said, I somehow managed to kill a rooster two years ago during the December season on public land: I was so surprised I almost didn't shoot!

I've heard that thumb-area state land is slightly better than other parts of the state so you might try there if you can't scratch-up any private land.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Pheasant density map for Michigan. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
If it doesn't concern Whitetail Deer or Salmon/Steelhead/Walleye, the DNR could care less.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Pheasant density map for Michigan. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
If it doesn't concern Whitetail Deer or Salmon/Steelhead/Walleye, the DNR could care less.

This is sooo true, although I think the MDNR is planning a huge party for the day when the last Whitetail Deer is killed. Then all what will be left to hunt will be turkeys and geese. The DNR could careless about upland bird hunters, which is too bad lots of revenue being lost to other states.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts