Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Pheasant back

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  MrJosePetes 
#1 ·
Found a few tonight and was wondering how I should prepare them? Do u sauté like Morells or other mushrooms. Thanks in advance.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#2 ·
i saw your other post and replied to it but just noticed this thread. i just cooked these in oil or a little bit of butter on medium heat, threw in some ramps and a bit of diced white onion and they were great. only takes a few minutes to cook.

i also gave a couple of things ive noticed with these mushrooms on the other thread

#5 ·
I saute'd some up today. I think they tast abit like portabellas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Almost a portabella little melon flavor to them

They are great with sum dried tomatoes and shallots.
Brush them with olive oil put the big ones on the grill...

#6 ·
I'm going to be honest about it, I tried some pheasant backs the other day for the first time, picked real young ones smaller than the palm of my hand, cooked them the way people say to do it, and they were a big disappointment, they were so chewy, like rubber, that I couldn't even break them up in my mouth, ended up spitting them out. There was no flavor to them other than the butter and onions I cooked them in. No wonder there are so many of them out there in the woods to be found easily, nobody else wants them either.

#7 ·
I found a lot of them last Saturday at a spot I have never been to before. I could have picked at least 100 lbs of them just from the small area I walked through. I brought 2 small ones home, but left them in truck. They are dried out now. I have found little interest in them on any of the mushroom sites. I wish there was a market for them.

#9 ·
I'm going to be honest about it, I tried some pheasant backs the other day for the first time, picked real young ones smaller than the palm of my hand, cooked them the way people say to do it, and they were a big disappointment, they were so chewy, like rubber, that I couldn't even break them up in my mouth, ended up spitting them out. There was no flavor to them other than the butter and onions I cooked them in. No wonder there are so many of them out there in the woods to be found easily, nobody else wants them either.
More than likel overcooked

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.