Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about picking one of these up.. Going to be using it for steelhead.. I like the feel of it. Seems to be nice and tight like a patriarch and a stradic, but not as expensive. Plus I like the looks of it and the little "power" handle. Anyone have any experience with these reels? Thanks in advance ;)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own several Pfluger spinning reels they are very nice and durable but a couple years ago I started using okumas the trio series and the celios there drag is second to none and every one was under 100 bucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Patriarch is my go to. Lightest reel out there. Not sure about the supreme?

Here fishy fishy..
I do like the patriarch .. Having a hard time swallowing the extra $ for it though.. I can get the supreme for $80 and the patriarch for $144 .. Both good deals, just not sure what the differences are between the two outside of looks and probably weight

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
I do like the patriarch .. Having a hard time swallowing the extra $ for it though.. I can get the supreme for $80 and the patriarch for $144 .. Both good deals, just not sure what the differences are between the two outside of looks and probably weight

I'd LOVE to get my hands on a Patriarch! Nick (FishKilla) is a friend of mine and I've actually had the pleasure of handling his reel a couple times and that thing truly is a work of art! I'm definitely jealous but damn, $200?! Maybe someday, lol!

I actually use the cheap Trion reels by Pflueger, a small one for ice fishing or open water walleye and perch and a larger one for casting hardware to Kings...both are awesome for the applications I use them for so I'd assume that the higher quality reels are that much better!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I own 2 of the Pfluger Supreme 8230MG models and love em! I use to be a big fan of Shimano but not so much anymore.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,424 Posts
Patriarch is my go to. Lightest reel out there. Not sure about the supreme?

Here fishy fishy..
You need to pick up an Okuma RTX 30S (6.6 oz) :lol:

Less that $80 @ Walmart.com Bryan.. SCOPE IT!!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear ya Waz, $200 choke choke .. That's why I was leaning towards the supreme, it really does feel good and tight.. I have to work this evening so I'll play with em' a little more :)

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
I hear ya Waz, $200 choke choke .. That's why I was leaning towards the supreme, it really does feel good and tight.. I have to work this evening so I'll play with em' a little more :)

LMAO, this is why I'm kinda glad that I don't work at Dick's Sporting Goods anymore...seems like every pay period, I was just working for free after taking advantage of my 25% off employee discount!

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I just ordered one 3 days a go with some gift certs that I received for my birthday. I've had nothing but good luck with Pfleuger reels.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
767 Posts
For the money, the president is a good reel if you dont want to spend the extra cash. 80 for the spurpeme doesnt seem like a bad deal though. The mini president (think its a 20) is great for ice fishing. I have the older gold supreme, its a good reel, but really don't see the need to spend more than the 60 bucks for the president, but then again i am pretty hard on my reels and that is the other reason i usually don't spend a whole lot of money on my spin casters. Sure you will be happy either way you go!

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,548 Posts
I own several Pfluger spinning reels they are very nice and durable but a couple years ago I started using okumas the trio series and the celios there drag is second to none and every one was under 100 bucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Something about those Pflugers and their drag, just not that great IMO. Shimano and Quantum are hard to beat when it comes to drags. Been a long time since I looked at an Okuma. May have to look at them again. Nothing better then fighting that smallmouth or steelhead, its dug in below the boat and you can hear that drag, tick, tick, tick, tick. Precision! Music to those that hear it. ;)

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I'll check them out. I need a light reel for my elite tech. And another light reel for ice fishin.:thumbup:

Here fishy fishy..
check out the president 6720x....only 5.9 ounces..7 ball bearings
northwoods has them for 39.99
great drag..i use em everyday.

on my elite techs i use the 6725 for summer jigging

·
Super Moderator
16,424 Posts
I'll check them out. I need a light reel for my elite tech. And another light reel for ice fishin.:thumbup:

Here fishy fishy..
Like about any Okuma, gotta "break in" the bearings, but the drags rock.
You can fondle one @ Cabela's - there are several sizes avaiable - I chose the RTX-30S B/C it had a 170YD/8LB capacity and that suits me fine.
I would have loved a Stradic Ci4 - 3000 for these are half the price & the carbon fiber is unreel............

I have one of these on a Shimano Compre` 6'8" MH with 12lb fused braid....
two words....

YUM YUM! :evilsmile

http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/spinning-1/rtx

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a nice looking reel Robert :) I wish we carried those in store so I could check it out. It looks similar to the stradic Ci4 (which is another option for me at $144) very nice tight reel there too. Couldn't find the mono capacity on it, but is a 7bb.. Still kinda leaning on the supreme.. Both the patriarch and the supreme are 10bb, but the supreme has a faster retrieve at 6:2:1 vs. the patriarch's 5:2:1 and the supreme holds a little bit more line.. I did notice the patriarch is lighter on weight.. Not huge but noticeable.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
There nice reels... there customer service sucks! I've been waiting 3 years for a replacement part they've shipped to me numerous time, but never got anything. Eveverytime I've talked to Cs they've been rude. I won't buy plueger anymore.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,424 Posts
That's why I included the link on the Okuma site Bry.....
I actually got ONE of my RTX30S's with a $20 rebate & an eBay invoice - so I got that sucker for under $60 from United Outdoors...
I see they are giving out sweatshirts with them now....

Might have to get a 25 size for pan fish & 1lb test braid.
;) :xzicon_sm
That one rig I mentioned above is UNDER 12 oz. total weight with line on it! :lol:

Pure Fishing's service does SUCK IMO also.... :fish2:

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
My imx jigging rods with the patriarch weigh in way less than most reels. Absolute joy to fish with. Especially all day. I only use 2000 and 1500 series reels. All I use it's fireline so I don't need a ton of line capacity.

Here fishy fishy..

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I have two Pflueger Supremes, a Supreme from when it was a Shakespeare product and a Supreme XT that I picked up a few years ago. Both are 35 series reels.

The first Supreme, which is silver/gold, has a smoother drag and has performed fairly well. My only complaint was the inside spool edges were very sharp and would cut line if the line happened to get behind the spool. A piece of emery paper did just fine in easily fixing that.

The Supreme XT, which is black w/gold trim, operates smoothly, but as RR pointed out, I also feel the drag is not smooth. Also, I've had the handle knob fall off. That was also easily fixed (didn't loose the screw). However, the performance of this reel, which I expected to be better than the older Supreme model but didn't measure up, has made me think twice before purchasing any other newer Pfluegers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts