Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

PFA’s

4987 Views 108 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  sureshot006
Does anyone know of a link where I can read up on the testing results from DR and LE as far as the PFA’s in the Perch & Walleye are concerned.

I’m not looking for any argument please, or the typical “I’ve been eating them for 30 years, and I’m fine” remarks. I’m legitimately looking for actual testing results from the tests that have been run in the 2 body’s of water the past 2-3 years. I like to read data and base my opinions on that, not hearsay or somebody’s uneducated opinions.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Probably asking on the wrong website.

The material you're looking for does not meet the criteria of the membership. LMAO
I’m not looking for any argument please, or the typical “I’ve been eating them for 30 years, and I’m fine” remarks. I’m legitimately looking for actual testing results from the tests that have been run in the 2 body’s of water the past 2-3 years. I like to read data and base my opinions on that, not hearsay or somebody’s uneducated opinions.

Thanks!

I figured as much. Just tired of hearing several different opinions on the topic, but having a hard time finding results the state found from their testing.

Oh well, worth a shot.

Reactions: Robert88
Do they provide test results for the food at the supermarket? Just curious if the pork, chicken, beef I just bought today could be laced with the same chemicals that are found in wild fish...serious question as well...was wondering if you can have your blood tested for this stuff relatively cheap. Im eating alot of wild caught walleye salmon perch and deer, would be interesting to see what meat/protein source was truly the lesser evil.
Have you tried here? I have not dug into it but may contain what you want.

I will look into that link after work. Thanks!

Have you tried here? I have not dug into it but may contain what you want.

Reactions: sureshot006
I don’t know about supermarket meat, pork, or chicken as we get all of that from our friends farm in Ohio. I would just like to see the results from the Detroit River and Lake Erie since the Huron River has already been deemed a “do not eat fish” waterway that stretches all the way out to Ann Arbor and Wixom, covering all lakes, streams and tributaries off of the Huron River system.

Do they provide test results for the food at the supermarket? Just curious if the pork, chicken, beef I just bought today could be laced with the same chemicals that are found in wild fish...serious question as well...was wondering if you can have your blood tested for this stuff relatively cheap. Im eating alot of wild caught walleye salmon perch and deer, would be interesting to see what meat/protein source was truly the lesser evil.
Reactions: Robert88
Food Ingredient Recipe Deep frying Potato cake

Let ya know if I make it through the night. Walleye cakes.
Hmm is that farm regulated by the FDA? Have their animals been tested or its just blind trust the soil, diet, water, care practices etc is acceptable. Just sounds odd to worry about contamination in fish when you just dont know what else is out there that could be harmful and the lack of data that exists, definitely more transparency would be great. But I doubt the farm down the road gets their products tested either. They unfortunately dont label or disuade people from eating the fish in the ocean or the horrible "farm raised" salmon from the west coast. Its peculiar why they label angler caught fish and put warnings in it but not the product people pay taxes on. It is strange to say the least. Im just as concerned about the sprays, dyes, pesticides on produce but you won't find a bag of grapes list what kind of horrible chemicals are on them. I can taste the pesticides on some of the "organic" fruits but the fish I catch tastes great in comparison so its just something I worry about less.
I don’t know about supermarket meat, pork, or chicken as we get all of that from our friends farm in Ohio. I would just like to see the results from the Detroit River and Lake Erie since the Huron River has already been deemed a “do not eat fish” waterway that stretches all the way out to Ann Arbor and Wixom, covering all lakes, streams and tributaries off of the Huron River system.

This is not what you are looking for.....but there was an excellent article on PFAS in 2022 from the Chicago Tribune.

Forever chemicals found in drinking water throughout Illinois (chicagotribune.com)

Let us know what you find in terms of fish contamination.
Reactions: Sharkbait11
The link from post 5 has the testing reports. I didn't see a separate report for the waterways you mentioned, but this was in the report for the Rouge River. So you may need to check reports for watersways emptying into those waters:

"In November 2019, EGLE WRD collected four samples from the Rouge River near Zug Island. An additional sample was collected from the Detroit River downstream of the confluence with the Rouge River. All samples were below Rule 57 human health values for PFOS and PFOA. PFOS concentrations ranged from 1.3 to 2.9 parts per trillion (ppt) in the Rouge River, and the Detroit River sample had a PFOS concentration of 2.4 ppt (Figure 1). PFOS is compared to the human non-cancer value (HNV) for PFOS of 12 ppt for non-drinking water sources (Rouge River) and 11 ppt for drinking water sources (Detroit River). PFOA concentrations in the Rouge River ranged from 1.3 to 2.5 ppt and was 1.3 ppt in the Detroit River sample. PFAS results are compared to the HNV for PFOA of 12,000 ppt for non-drinking water sources and 420 ppt for drinking water sources."

Reactions: BFG and sureshot006
I think they are focusing on sources not where it is diluted. Makes sense to me but I understand why folks would want to know about the big water. I'd think a sort of reasonable estimate could be made for Erie based on concentration and flow volume into it.

I’m afraid the more the look the more they’ll find. It’s in everything, water, fish, our blood, etc. There is a cost to modern day conveniences most of which are brought to us by man made chemicals.

I think they are focusing on sources not where it is diluted. Makes sense to me but I understand why folks would want to know about the big water. I'd think a sort of reasonable estimate could be made for Erie based on concentration and flow volume into it.
I bet any levels differ widely from whole tested fish vs fillet only tested fish.
The new warning for how much Smelt you can eat.

Ironically there’s also an article posted on Detroit free press today but it’s for subscribers only. About eating local fish can put PFAs in your blood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reactions: Jiggin Jay
NPR just mentioned that eating one PFAS contaminated fish equals drinking said contaminated water for a month.
I thought testing was only done on filleted fish. Seems like they changed the test procedure 10-15 yrs ago.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I bet any levels differ widely from whole tested fish vs fillet only tested fish.
Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NPR just mentioned that eating one PFAS contaminated fish equals drinking said contaminated water for a month.
Reactions: Jiggin Jay
1 - 20 of 109 Posts